Doing without a kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I like a coffee when I'm out and about for a relaxing way to pass the time. What's the best way to avoid bringing a kettle. I know everyone has "Crusader Cup" ready to cut and paste but I'm thinking for small groups where you want to make for more than one and want to boil water in something you can pour from but everyone else has plastic cups. Or is a Trangia kettle thats small and squat the most economical space saver. (Should add I'm thinking for over an open fire)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I went to a camp last weekend with 15 or so people so there's no way a kettle wouldn't fill that lot
There was a square billy maybe 18 x 18 x 12inches and eveyone just dunked thier cups in - before putting the tea or coffee in ofcourse!
Yes the water starts to get bits floating in it that's easily sorted.
The other way is to have a ladle

Any water left in stays hot for a long time so any sneaky cuppas tacken between breaks are still warm even though the billy had been off the fire for a while

Cheers

Mark

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I use stainless teapots from charity shops, you can get them cheap, and in assorted sizes, i've got them from one cup(don't realy bother with that one)to one that holds a gallon !.

Rob

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
It's not entirely clear to me what you're asking for, but if you're wanting a large metal mug/cup in which you can boil water for yourself and others' drinks, IMO the crusader cup strikes a good balance between beign able to hold/heat a lot of water and being small enough to drink from. There are many similar cups on the market, though I think most are smaller than the crusader.

If you have fresh/clean cold water available you can put a bit of hot into each persons cup and top it up with cold, you don't really need the drink to be 'boiling'. That way whatever 'hot' you have will stretch further.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You dont need to use a kettle at all
Just use a billy of the size that will provide enough hot water
A spout is nice but they stick out and are not essential
A lid is good it helps boil quicker and fairly obviously stops stuff geting in the water while pot is on the fire
Having said that when I take larger groups and family I have a rather nice Zebra Kettle with spout which everyone admires
Same as this e bay Item number: 260440535219
I paid a lot less than that for a shop soiled one though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE