does anyone forage on the North Devon Coast?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've just got back from France having enjoyed copeous amounts of mussles and seafood and it reminded me of when I was a child going out and foraging the seashore with my father.

I have got a copy of the edible seashore but without the expert knowledge of my old man I'm not that confident to pick my own! On my last night of holiday I had fruits de la mere which was just amazing; oysters, welks, fresh prawns and crab all caught fresh from the sea mere metres from where we sat. I loved it! I have to get out and have a go. We are venturing over to North Devon at the end of the month and I was hoping to begin my journey.

Having looked about online there seem to be far more varieties of shellfish on our shores than listed in the book... are they all edible? I appreciate that the best foraging is done on the spring tides and ommitting months with 'r's (plus pollution/aglae/sewage) but for those that do what are your tips for foraging this prey and would you recommend North Devon as a venue?

Many thanks.

Leo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE