Does anyone find that...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I went to join my local rifle club, told them i have my own .177 air rifle and hunt, they where ok with that but kept asking if i was interested in live firing rifles, told them not really and they started being a bit off handed, then tried their 10metre rifle range with their diopter site target rifle, fired the allowed 7 shots and they where surprised i was a better shot than their best target shooter, told them if i couldnt shoot a target at 10metres and hit it perfectly every time i wouldnt hunt, I was asked what distances i shoot out to and when i told them i shot out to 50metres they thought i was joking and then said i must pay £6 every time i came for 6months (bearing in mind you have to go atleast twice a week to prove you are serious about the commitment), if you are liked and they want you in the club only then they will let you pay £120 for the year!

If I couldn't hit regulary at 300 yards (about 278 meters) I wouldn't hunt!

Target shooters (National Match) have an even harder standard: 300 yards (as stated, about 278 meters) is "short" range, 600 yards (about 556 meters) is "medium" range, and 100 yards (about 923 meters) is "long" range. All shot with open sights for competition.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are two clubs within five miles of me, one Clay and a blackpowder bunch and its easier to join the Masons than get even a guest invite, very much closed doors. The other, big, club is a good distance away but seem friendly enough and my word there is some hardware used there...big bucks spent by some members.
http://www.offasrifleclub.com/gallery.htm

Gun clubs are no worse than many other type of clubs, people invest heavily in equipment and I suppose they expect newcomers to be equally geek like or focused. I remember saying to a couple of radio hams that I was not really interested in the technical side, just wanted to know enough for my license so I could use my rig... you could have heard a pin drop...deathly silence and 'wish you were dead' looks !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have been (and am) a member of gun clubs all over the country - practical, target, clay, fullbore, smallbore, gallert, mini, F-class, service rifle, front stuffer, pistol, rifle, shotgun. You name it, I'll shoot it.

I think it depends on what you want from the sport. Practical is certainly not "boring and inflexible"

Obscured target by British Red, on Flickr

Aperture Shooting by British Red, on Flickr

Rollover Prone by British Red, on Flickr

Shooting from a horse (PSG) by British Red, on Flickr

High bird (PSG) by British Red, on Flickr

But, for me, neither is shooting historic military rifles at medium (600 yard) ranges, or flintlock pistols at short ranges.

I think its important to decide the type of shooting you want to do and find a club that meets your needs. If you are very lucky (as I am) your local club will have many ranges and do it all - but that is a rare thing!

Red

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I have been (and am) a member of gun clubs all over the country - practical, target, clay, fullbore, smallbore, gallert, mini, F-class, service rifle, front stuffer, pistol, rifle, shotgun. You name it, I'll shoot it.

I think it depends on what you want from the sport. Practical is certainly not "boring and inflexible"

Obscured target by British Red, on Flickr

Aperture Shooting by British Red, on Flickr

Rollover Prone by British Red, on Flickr

Shooting from a horse (PSG) by British Red, on Flickr

High bird (PSG) by British Red, on Flickr

But, for me, neither is shooting historic military rifles at medium (600 yard) ranges, or flintlock pistols at short ranges.

I think its important to decide the type of shooting you want to do and find a club that meets your needs. If you are very lucky (as I am) your local club will have many ranges and do it all - but that is a rare thing!

Red

Practical shotgun was one of the things I was interested in and it really does look like my cuppa tea, but sadly from what I've seen, my closest club is in London. Way way way too far for me.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
There are two clubs within five miles of me, one Clay and a blackpowder bunch and its easier to join the Masons than get even a guest invite, very much closed doors. The other, big, club is a good distance away but seem friendly enough and my word there is some hardware used there...big bucks spent by some members.
http://www.offasrifleclub.com/gallery.htm

Gun clubs are no worse than many other type of clubs, people invest heavily in equipment and I suppose they expect newcomers to be equally geek like or focused. I remember saying to a couple of radio hams that I was not really interested in the technical side, just wanted to know enough for my license so I could use my rig... you could have heard a pin drop...deathly silence and 'wish you were dead' looks !

I think that they all just need to take themselves alot less seriously. It's not the gun, but the man behind it that counts. It applies to anything really. Quality of equipment counts to a very small extent and at the end of the day, if you've put in the practice, you can compensate for anything.
I'm downshifting in terms of my kit at the moment. I want to replaced purchased things with more homemade things. I don't mind investing in tools, sewing machines, etc to make things, I just don't want to spend alot of money on expensive, hyped kit anymore. Too many other things that are draining my money as it is - i.e. the appauling price of food and petrol.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I hunt with a sub 12flbs air rifle and the chap was stunned i could shoot well at a stationary target at 10 metres, dont see why there is so much snobbery between air rifles and other calibres in clubs.

If I couldn't hit regulary at 300 yards (about 278 meters) I wouldn't hunt!

Target shooters (National Match) have an even harder standard: 300 yards (as stated, about 278 meters) is "short" range, 600 yards (about 556 meters) is "medium" range, and 100 yards (about 923 meters) is "long" range. All shot with open sights for competition.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Vulpes - how is Horsham for you? There is a practical shotgun set up there run by Phoenix - contact Ron (addy on the attached link)

http://www.lpsc.co.uk/#/practical-shotgun/4548204005

Red

30 mins up the carriageway! You beauty, British Red! I just have to sort out my working hours. I work evenings, 6 days a week...

Don't you have to sort out FAC beforehand?

Wanted to get into shotguns after I was lucky enough to be taken fowling in wetlands. Totally awesome!

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Normally clubs have club guns you can use if you don't have your own
If you decide to go down that route you will need to get an FAC for a shotgun that holds more than 3 rounds
It's not much more hassle than a SGC if you're already a member of a club though
Happy shooting

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
30 mins up the carriageway! You beauty, British Red! I just have to sort out my working hours. I work evenings, 6 days a week...

Don't you have to sort out FAC beforehand?

Wanted to get into shotguns after I was lucky enough to be taken fowling in wetlands. Totally awesome!

Section 1 shotguns are weird (you aren't supposed to lend them even to other FAC holders). However thats just about magazine capacity. There is a safety course you have to do to enter practical shotgun competitions - most people do that with section 2 shotguns (normal 2+1). Then get a section 1 shotgun later. Many people in our club competitions just come and use their pigeon gun and a pocket full of shells. If you want to win regional comps you will need a section 1 gun - to participate at club level, use whatever you have or can borrow - its primarily a fun thing (it does have rules for safety because you are running and moving and stuff with a loaded gun - but they are common sense).

Each club has different rules etc. but most are very welcoming - give them a shout, meet up with them somewhere and explain what you are interested in and take it from there.

If you do put in some range time, I find shooters to be the most generous to a fauly. I find looking at someones rifle and making admiring noises will get you an invite to "have a try" nine times out of ten. I always aoffer to pay for ammo etc. and am always told "don't bother". People have been kind enough to lend me :

An original Baker rifle (carried at Waterloo)
A Holland and Holland double rifle (elephant rifle)
An Artic Warfare
A Howdah pistol

....and all sorts of other goodies :)

Turn up - have a go - I hope you enjoy it!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've found folk at target shooting clubs to be helpful and friendly, by and large. It's worth remembering that they must from time to time get newcomers with dubious motives who need to be screened out, and I think this might explain any initial suspicion.

But clubs can be cliquey. I used to be a member of an amateur radio club which I found very welcoming but I know other (pleasant and decent) folks found the opposite. I can't really understand it when every hobby needs new blood.

Having said that, my favourite shooting people are sporting riflemen. I met a great group of people when I did the deer stalking certificate. Really nice people who went out of their way to help each other.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Our local club is run by different folk in each area (clay, range and the gunshop)... I recommended a freind to the shop on the strength of the welcoming folk who ran the clay and range, a mistake I'll not be repeating as the miserable, arrogant basqueathen who has the shop franchise has driven away good business from all three areas with his snobbish & ignorant treatment of said mate. Its all down to folk, as in pretty much everything... except bushcrafters who are all sound, of course :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I hunt with a sub 12flbs air rifle and the chap was stunned i could shoot well at a stationary target at 10 metres, dont see why there is so much snobbery between air rifles and other calibres in clubs.

Sorry. I just now caught that you were talking about air rifles (they're generally not legal hunting weapons here but there are some exceptions)

Even so, an air rifle only limits the effective range as such. If you know the projectile's capabilities and "bullet" drop then it shouldn't make any difference inasmuch as accuracey at 30 meters (assuming 30 meters is within it's effective range) whether it's an air rifle or a modern smokeless powder rifle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE