Does anyone bring along a guitar?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
First of, hello everyone :) Discovered the forums and decided they were too good not to join. Hoping this is in the right subforum, too ;)

I'd like to know if anyone brings along an instrument when they go camping. If it's only a short distance to where I'm pitching I'll bring a guitar, though my resonator is a bit too damned heavy to be lugging anywhere. I know it's not very practical and I'm sure I look pretty silly with a guitar strapped to my rucksack but it's worth the enjoyment it brings!

I just picked up a harmonica, too, which is a bit more portable than my geetar hehheh.

Anyone else feel the same way as me?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I have been known to inflict my voice on people from time to time.
piratewhistle.gif

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
got a classical guitar and electric but never taken them camping yet thought about taking the classical a few times but would be wicked to take a genny and get my amp cranked up lol

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've been known to take mi fiddle and mandolin along when car camping as very well recieved at the bush moot last year and i'll repeat the feat agin this year :)

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
For me there is nothing quite like sitting round my fire with a few foaming ales sookin and blawin on my old harmonica! I can knock out the odd tune but I would love to be able to play the "blues" harp, the stuff I play (badly!) is mainly Scottish and Irish folk.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Don't usually take a guitar but I'll play one if somebody else does... My Taylor's too precious to be taking out and about, my 12-string's knackered, my classical is for sentimental value only, and the dobro's too damn heavy. Penny whistle is a far more portable instrument. The octave mandola's reasonably portable too, but I don't like carrying anything too far in a hard case... Been toying with the idea of picking up a backpacker guitar of some kind for exactly this kind of thing.

suenosch

Jul 1, 2009
Chester
My wife & I play music together, me on guitar & her on recorder. Its a bit tricky integrating it with woodland camping, but I have tried it. The birds sometimes respond by redoubling their song. Clothes pegs are a real boon for holding scores in place (we nearly always play printed music).

If we can find an easy way of bringing some musical stuff then we will do it. We definitely won't be bothering with any amplification. If it isn't loud enough then the kit gets put back in its cases.

S.

Ruvio

Nomad
I got a classical tanglewood guitar for 3 quid from a car boot. Reckon it's worth about 200, but i only paid a little bit so it goes where i go when I camp. The only problem though it, it's only vaguely the same guitar i started with due to my innate clumsiness.
It's always a bit of fun though, and a scout leader friend of mine had a kid that had night terrors in his group, encouraged him to take his guitar along (as he played at home), and just play quietly if he starts to feel panicky.

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
I take my penny whistle but get moaned at by the second tune. I only know 1.

After reading a thread on here about instruments, I have purchased a stick dulcimer and I am currently banished from playing when the wife, kids or neighbors are in. Everyones a critic.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
My guitar is too big and heavy to take along. If I'm going for the specific purpose of playing instruments with others then I'll bring it in the car. For now I'm honing my harmonica skills. :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Hooray for music around the campfire. I can't play a proper instrument for cheese. I'd take a lappy and my music making software but I expect some folks would frown on electronica and techno blasting out through the trees.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Rebel, try lugging a resonator guitar along. It weighs a freakin' ton and I'm happy as a cloud when I return to my wood bodied acoustic. Resonator only comes with me when I'm car camping.

If I'm out but don't want to take one of my 'expensive' (relatively) guitars, for example if bad weather is forecast, I take my ... other ... pride and joy, christened by myself as 'The Sh*tar', it's an old 3/4 classical I retro fitted to be a slide guitar. Ripped all the frets out and strung it with four electric strings. Sounds pants next to a real guitar but it's fun to get a groove going on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE