dodgy pin hole in knife handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Can anyone recommend a way to deal with a slightly skewed pin hole in a knife handle? I'm guessing i bent the drill a fraction as i drilled it, and now have a hole which is ~1/5th mm to large on one side, large enough for a visible gap along one edge of the hole

I was wondering if i could use a filler and redo the hole (its olive wood), or will the epoxy hold and fill the hole enough not to worry about?

(there are 2 pins and a lanyard hole in the handle, i could use the lanyard hole as a pin hole instead, i've never used a lanyard on a knife anyway, so tht would give me 2 pins holding it and hopefully would be enough?)

I could make another scale, but i have nerve problems in my hands and i'm still recovering from shaping the first pair lol

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Epoxy will act as a gap filler no problem.
If you are using a clear epoxy you could add a little fine dust from sanding the olive wood to it to disguise the extra filled area.

Rob.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It'll hold ok with the epoxy, what you can do is get some sawdust from the left over wood, or something very similar if you don't have any left, and mix that with the epoxy that goes with that hole; when you sand it afterwards you won't see the gap unless you look for it. The longer you leave the epoxy to cure the better for this.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Edit: Dang, too slow, started typing before any other answers were posted :p

You could mix up some fine olive wood sanding dust with epoxy and partially fill the hole, then re-drill it once its all cured. You need a surprising amount of dust and it makes the composite paste quite thick. That will give a slightly better looking result than just filling with epoxy, but the latter will perform just fine. I would probably try filling and drilling since its easy and this is the moment to do it, but if it didn't work perfectly I wouldn't lose sleep over it :) Don't make more scales. You will want the material for the next knife you make!

How did you go about shaping the scales?

Good luck

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Awsome thanks guys :) i happened to have a little tin of olive wood sawdust (wondered how well it might light of a spark, not very well it turned out), seems to have done the trick nicely, hoping to finish sanding it this aftenoon so I can oil it up tonight

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Will post up pics once i'm happy with the oil finish :)

Edit: Dang, too slow, started typing before any other answers were posted :p

You could mix up some fine olive wood sanding dust with epoxy and partially fill the hole, then re-drill it once its all cured. You need a surprising amount of dust and it makes the composite paste quite thick. That will give a slightly better looking result than just filling with epoxy, but the latter will perform just fine. I would probably try filling and drilling since its easy and this is the moment to do it, but if it didn't work perfectly I wouldn't lose sleep over it :) Don't make more scales. You will want the material for the next knife you make!

How did you go about shaping the scales?

Good luck

Did it all by hand, marked out the shape, cut off the larger excess bits then filed and sanded it down, a bit easier than i was expecting tbh, olive wood is very nice to work with, and smells amazing, very sweet

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I was about to make the same suggestion as the other guys! Olivewood is beautiful and amazing to work with as you said though, always like seeing olivewood on someone's order!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE