Do something good this xmas.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Christmas is fast becoming a time of excess and a time where there is an enormous amount of pressure on folk to spend way beyond their means on gifts that won't always be appreciated.

This saddens me somewhat, christmas is also a time of good will and thinking of those that are less fortunate.

Do you have any old camping gear knocking about in your attic? I'm thinking less about your old goloks or martindale machete's!! and more in terms of your old sleeping bags, roll mats, blankets, hats and gloves?

If you do then may I be so bold as to encourage you to donate them to your local salvation army centre? There are many good folk who are either vulnerable, homeless or far less fortunate who will be very grateful for an extra blanket or sleeping bag this winter.

I'm not here to preach about this by the way. I'm not connected to the salvation army (other charitable organisations are also available!), it's just something that I've done and thought I'd spread the word.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Good point Barney.
We already donated the Mrs old sleeping bag (highlander 3season), 2 big winter coats and a load of winter jumpers that we don't really wear.
It's very sad to walk around a city or town at this time of year and see homelessness .
Even more sad is the looks some people give to these unfortunate souls .
Having had a stint of homelessness myself , I know how it feels...
I've been thinking of taking the kids and the Mrs and volunteering at local shelters , helping , serving hot meals etc.
Hopefully at 9 years old the kids will understand why we should do this...
Good post Barney! 👍

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I just dropped off a bag of stuff yesterday to a young lady who gives over her Christmas day to hand out mats, sleeping bags, hats, scarves, warm clothes etc. to the homeless directly. I havn't much myself this year, but managed to pick up some thermal scarves, fleeces and gloves for a good price to help fill up the bag.vIt's nice to see things going directly to those who need them.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I literally yesterday just done my xmas donation to a charity of my choosing to the exact amount i spend on each loved on for a present, it's nothing to be proud of it is done purely to alleviate my own guilt regarding the excess, i'm not a fan of xmas i only take part so i do not upset my loved ones by not joining in, i do really like that we all get together for food on the day though, the rest is superficial crap

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I hate Xmas too.

But this is all just symptom treating, -why are people not doing anything about the cause of homelessness?

Like a friend of mine is staying with friends, -the authorities wont put him up, -even though he has suffered brain damage (Which is why his family have abandoned him, -changed personality and now fits.) and so is technicaly a vunerable adult.

(Same as me.)

Only I am FEMALE and so in a similar situation...I might very well be looked after.

Why?

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I hate Xmas too.

But this is all just symptom treating, -why are people not doing anything about the cause of homelessness?

Like a friend of mine is staying with friends, -the authorities wont put him up, -even though he has suffered brain damage (Which is why his family have abandoned him, -changed personality and now fits.) and so is technicaly a vunerable adult.

(Same as me.)

Only I am FEMALE and so in a similar situation...I might very well be looked after.

Why?

Tell me about it. I have a mentally handicapped brother who gets no help from our governmnet with housing. He is deemed not bad enough to be in a residential home, but he cannot function in society by himself. When I told my landlord I'd be looking after hin for a dew months so he'd be staying in my spare room, they told me I had one day to find him somewhere else to live or I'd be kicked out. Horrid people like that are to blame as much as the government.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I spent 2 years homeless when i was 20-22 after a relationship breakup where i was fully invested, the authorities told me that being a male in my early 20's meant i was at zero risk to be living on the streets and they washed their hands of any responsibility to help me get back on my feet, it was only after getting knifed in the stomach in an argument over £5 that i eventually got in a homeless hostel, after 6 months in here i was allowed to add my name to the social housing waiting list in my city (you had to a registered resident for the last 6 months minimum to get on the housing list, being homeless you are not classed a resident of the city you are homeless in) eventually after 6 months in the hostel i got a flat in the ****tiest roughest part of my city and in no short terms was i told i should be highly grateful of this as usually there wouldn't be any help for someone of my status (male, homeless, early 20's).

To me it seemed there was more red tape to keep me homeless than there was assistance to get me back into society as a full member, it was only after nearly getting murdered that some **** decided i needed some help, just as well they did as i wouldn't have lasted much longer homeless

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE