Do I need a pocket sharpening stone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I keep a DC4 in my kit more for damage limitation.

If i nick or ding a blade, especially an axe it helps remove the tiny micro bur and enables me to carry on using it over the week/weekend without it rolling more. Saves me more work when i get home.

I guess it depends on how much work your tools get and for the weight and pack size of a dc4 type stone.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I hold crooked knives stationary and move the abrasive (fine sandpaper wrapped on a pipe mandrel.)
I really have to concentrate to keep a consistent bevel angle without moving my elbow. Hard to learn.

Most wilderness campsites here are pretty stoney, you'll find something good enough to use.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In East Sussex there is plenty of sediment stone in the rivers and streams. Sandstone, even better, mud stone. Mud stone ( correct name?) has a great surface and is flat.

Looks like a brownish Japanese waterstone.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like the DMT Duofolds. I have an old DC4 which I like a lot, and the new CC4 looks good. Do I need to sharpen in the field, not often, and certainly not usually on weekend type trips, or for basic camping trips where I will be tented in some boring field eating out of tins and packets.

It is a different situation if I am away for more than 4 days, I might be wanting to do wood craft, and there will be fires and a need to light them. If I am doing wood carving, that can take an edge faster than you expect and chips and rolled edges happen, and are a right pain to live with if you are out for more than a couple of days. I dropped an S30V Ritter Grip on a rock and dinked the tip over, two days into a five day trip. I have had edges bump metal and turn when I am doing food prep and in those cases I am dang glad I have a sharpener with me. Could I manage without, sure, but would it annoy and take away some of the enjoyment of the trip, for me, yes.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Unless you are planning large animal butchery or extended carving sessions then nah not for a weekend away

As said your belt or the welt of a leather sheath does it for me

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Do I sharpen my knife in the field? Hardly ever.
Do I end up sharpening every other muppet's blunt, chipped and rusty tools? Every flippin' time!

Z

Reactions: dean4442

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Once every so often, maybe every 10 minutes, swish!, swish!, plonk back into horn.

Yep! I’m an ancestor. That is exactly what we did when I was in the Forestry Commission cutting bracken from around small tree plantations with a sickle but without the horn. As the old guys used to tell me - “you’re paid as much for sharpening as you are for badging (cutting). Later we were on piecework and cut until the blade bounced off the bracken.

It’s a philosophy I carry with me to this day.

You can keep your shiny super hard steels. I’m not critical of your choice but I’ll use a simple tool, usually an Opinel. I carry a circular 75mm dia two sided axe carborundum. It’s in a pouch rather than a horn but I can spit. I sharpen both the cutting edge and occasionally the back. For instructions in use see @Janne above.

pee ess
I have one of those double tapered stones Janne and I still use it today to sharpen my sickle and my hedging hook.
pee pee ess
I really must learn to look at dates on “similar” posts.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE