DIY underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Right i got fed up of waiting for a quilt to be made so ended up buying a singer machine for 20 quid and my materials off flea bay and set two tonight this is my progress so far.
1.1 ripstop in brown i used the underquilt calculator off the hammock forum i cut my materials and i used a solder iron for my baffles it cut better.

baffles all taped on ready to stitch,

now the scary bit and the moment of truth,

baffles all stitched on tonight ready for the top layer but thats it for today and wont get on it tommorrow as the wifes got the girls round so i am banished to the woods to hunt a roe buck, atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
thanks guys i have really enjoyed it i have enough material for a top quilt and probably another underquilt , this sewing lark is adictive, i have alot of things i want to have a crack at after the quilts. my stitching has come out remarkably straight i am really supprised as i havn't used a machine since shcool. atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ha ha it might go all pete tong yet i have got the easy part over with it can only be downhill from here its taken ages to get my head round the baffles attaching to the other part, atb wayne

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice work Merside :)

Once you get the first part of the first baffle sewn on, it tends to keep itself in shape.

Had you thought about darting it (giving it the underquilt shape) before you stitch the other side on?

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Nice work Merside :)

Once you get the first part of the first baffle sewn on, it tends to keep itself in shape.

Had you thought about darting it (giving it the underquilt shape) before you stitch the other side on?

thanks for that, yes i will be darting my other section is larger than that one for the shape, just got to get my head round a few things first, i did the easy bit the dimentions are 56" x 42" with 1oz of down per baffle this will be a 4 season and the top quilt will be the same,more pics to come, still thinking about weather to grosgrain the edge so my cord runs all the way round or to just fold the seam in, atb wayne

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Finsihing the edges is more personal preference, theres so many ways to make them.

A couple of tips though-never break the 10mm minimum seam allowance rule, if you do the material will more than likely eventually pull away. Pay special attention to making the cord exits strong by overstitching/bartacking. Also, overstuff by 30% to keep the quilt lofted for years to come. I cut corners on one and only overstuffed by 10%-it's now limp and lifeless when there's a hint of moisture. Its getting some more stuffed in.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
ah thanks for that Pete those are great tips to help me,were is the best place for down uk hammocks are on holiday so might have to wait if thats the only place, atb wayne

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
No worrries Wayne :) Have a look at Extemtextil.com in Germany, lots have used them on here. Either that, or source from Hammockgear or Speer hammocks in the states.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Really daft question, but what stops the down inside the baffles going down to the bottom of the quilt if you hang it up?

Great skills by the way Wayne!!

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Really daft question, but what stops the down inside the baffles going down to the bottom of the quilt if you hang it up?

Great skills by the way Wayne!!

the down can move about i will just hang it along the width but its easy to flick it to move the down but i would think filling the down with the corect amount will mean it fills the baffles correctly, atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
well here's an update i managed to get the darts on the bottom half done and hemmed the three sides ready for the edging to go on after i have filled it with down. i had a hard time with the hem i was abit wonky but really pleased with my first attempt and i now understand everything ready for my top quilt, atb wayne
stitching the top layer on

tacking the hem

the hem

ta da:cool:

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
blimey that looks like i will have down everywhere:D might have to think about that before giving that a whirl, atb wayne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE