DIY Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
As i had another rained off day from work today.I decided to make a start on my underlanket.I had ordered 3m of kuarki pertex and 5m of black shock cord along with some cord locks,which came to £26.Here's the results so far,bear in mined i have never tried to make anything like this before i'm quite happy.
underb.jpg

channel.jpg

shockcord.jpg

fulllength.jpg

Just needs sewing up and add insulation.

Last edited:

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Yes the shock cord runs all the way through the length of it.
Cant find me tape measure a the moment,so i have put a lighter for scale.
The final weight is 600g.As for temp ratings i will have to find that one out over time.
rolledupunderblanket.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo6-1.jpg

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Hi all,
I'm so happy with my UB,cant wait for it's maiden voyage in a couple of weeks time.
The neat sewing job i need to give me mum the credit for.Bless her she had no idea what she was sewing up when i took it over her house.
Would anybody make it any differently or improve in anyway.
Always good to hear feedback.
Cheers Andy.

Woadhart

Feb 24, 2012
Fife
Hi all,
Would anybody make it any differently or improve in anyway.
Always good to hear feedback.
Cheers Andy.

Your UB is looking good, the only improvement I can think of is that I've seen people put a toggle on the shockcord halfway down each of the long sides so that you can raise and lower the UB while lying in the hammock to regulate its position and the temperature.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Looks a tidy job , makes mine look tatty :(
Reckon I can feel some grooming swmbo time coming on :p
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Could these be made of a waterproof or damp proof fabric so they could be used as a ground sheet when not being used as a UQ/UB?

If so what fabric would members recommend? I also thinking, maybe over complicating this, that the water/damp proof shell could be a sheath for a poncho liner to button or popper into?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
snugpak paratex looks good, they have cheap bivi bags on ebay, I might try one of these an see if it would be big enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE