DIY tripod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
DSC01526.jpg

I used three temporary fence posts (or whatever they are called-the sort of thing that holds up the orange plastic net fencing at country fairs and the like)…they cost about £2.20 each from Jewsons. The metal ring is cut from a broken webbing strap that lorry drivers use to secure a load.

DSC01552.jpg

I used a bolster to force open the loop so that I could get the ring in, I then cut the hook part off two of the posts (you can just see the loop I left on, it’s there to help with securing the chain if needed). I then heated the posts in a gas BBQ and hammered them closed again to secure the ring.

DSC01550-1.jpg

This is it ready for action…I also saved a couple of bob on accessories…

DSC01551.jpg

…The lid lifter is a slightly damaged ticket holder that goes in a flower bucket that I rescued from the work skip. It is simply bent neatly in half anf the t shaped prongs bent towards. The lid rest is a metal stand from a diposable CO-OP BBQ. I’ve since put a v shape bend in the longer sides to get a better fit.

DSC02515.jpg

The good thing is it works! I was a little worried that the legs may bow a bit but this is a half full 4 litre Dutch oven and it was fine.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work!
I use a collection of hazel rods and paracord ...but it probably will not last as ling as your tripod!

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
good job fraction of the price of a bought one and probaly a lot lighter, another alternative could be a tripod fishing rest

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Nice job there. I use what was an old men at work sign, it does the job and has a tube at the junction where the legs meet which is great for dropping a chain through with a hook for the pot. A pin through the chain stops it falling through the tube and gives me loads of different hieght setting so great control for cooking.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
great bit of DIY, i've seen people making quick tripods at festivals out of road stakes (that's what i know those fence post thingies as) and a bit of wire, exactly same principal as the OP but a lot more make-shift.

that looks nearly nicely made mang, good work

stuart

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Very impressive and nicely sturdy. Reminds me I've got a few of those road-stakes (and I never knew what they were called) on the allotment at the moment, doing various useful things but only as temporary solutions - now I have a better idea, thanks to Mang.

Incidentally, mine came from a country store sort of place - sells horsey tack and pig-troughs etc - just bare metal, but pretty strong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE