DIY question for the hive mind.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Our cooker packed in recently and because we are intending to fit a new kitchen in the next year or two I did not want an expensive replacement. I got a second hand jobbie out of the paper last month and have just got around to installing it.

The job went nice and smooth but I noticed that the hinge was coming away on the glass door. I sent off for some special glue for it and fixed it without any problems. As it happens it looks like the previous owner had done this repair before because a different coloured glue was visible when I took it all apart.

On leaving it do set overnight I have now found that the glass door rubs on the bottom of the cooker. I can see how this has been an ongoing issue as an older rubbing mark can be seen. Clearly this will eventually pull the hinge off again or even crack the glass.

I have tried using a grinder on the lip of the metal to smooth it out but it still catches. Any tips on how I can cure this
problem?
20140715_120623-1_zpsba54819c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Really hard to see from the photo. Worked with glass all my life so might be able to help but cant see what the issue is from the shot sorry.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Really hard to see from the photo. Worked with glass all my life so might be able to help but cant see what the issue is from the shot sorry.

If you look at the base of the body of the cooker that white patch is the area I have mainly ground down. What happens is when I lower the door the glass plate does not quite clear that area of the cooker (the bottom lip I suppose). This pulls the glass panel from door housing putting pressure on the hinge glue (hence it coming off) and also puts pressure on the glass. I imagine it is only the give in the mastic type glue that has not saved it from cracking the glass so far. These doors and hinges are quite a loose fit and have lots of wiggle room so It is hard to see what I can move or tighten up hence me whipping the grinder out and trying to take the edge off the lip of the cooker.

If you look at the base of the body of the cooker that white patch is the area I have mainly ground down. What happens is when I lower the door the glass plate does not quite clear that area of the cooker (the bottom lip I suppose). This pulls the glass panel from door housing putting pressure on the hinge glue (hence it coming off) and also puts pressure on the glass. I imagine it is only the give in the mastic type glue that has not saved it from cracking the glass so far. These doors and hinges are quite a loose fit and have lots of wiggle room so It is hard to see what I can move or tighten up hence me whipping the grinder out and trying to take the edge off the lip of the cooker.

Sounds to me like the hinge (or the other) is still the issue rather than the cooker as this is the only part that is adjustable. Can the hinge be adjusted in any plain? When closed is it level?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Fitted a cooker similar to that a couple of weeks ago. Pull the whole cooker out ½ an inch and see if it still grinds. I'm assuming the door is grinding on the box it's set in. Just pulling it forward and shimming it off the fixing points usually solves the problem. The cooker I fitted looked neat and flush, until the door open and barked against the false drawer front that was set underneath the cooker.

If it's the door grinding on the casing of the cooker itself, I would suggest you have a real close look at how the hinges are fitted and see if you can pack it out using washers. So long as the door seals against its seating this solution shouldn't affect the working of the cooker.

You do know those doors lift out and off using a little lever that's set into the hinge? There's a little sort of tab you hook your fingernail under on the cooker body side of the hinge. Lifting this lever free the locking cam and the whole door should lift off. be sure to reset that little lever when fitting it back in.

Hope this tuppenny worth of info helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE