DIY Folding Bucksaw and a DIY Drawknife (experiment)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
In the back of the garden we’re constructing a shed to keep all our stuff in (camping gear, power tools, snowboards, bikes etcetera).

While in the process of cleaning the garden a bit I stumbled upon some big pieces of wood that needed to be cut, in order to get them in the back of my car. I didn’t have a saw at hand, so I decided to make a folding buck-saw with the materials at hand (knife, drill, cord, electric wiring (instead of bolts), spare Bahco blade from a previous buck saw, scraps of wood from the shed).

foto-1-10.jpg

foto-2-7.jpg

Nice tension, clean cut! Thinking of keeping this buck saw since it turned out quite rigid.
After sawing all those beams into pieces I decided to call it a day.

—

But this was an excellent moment to experiment with another tool I was thinking about the other day. A drawknife made with the tools at hand, being a knife, the bucksaw and some wood. I had searched the web for pictures but I couldn’t find any photo or article about it (drawknife with your own knife used as the blade).

I wanted a tool which enables one to make long, steady, even cuts along a piece of wood. Carving axe-handles or paddles has been in mind the last weeks.

This is what I came up with:

foto-3-6.jpg

foto-4-5.jpg

foto-5-6.jpg

foto-11.jpg

The tool is held with both hands. The knife handle can be secured with cordage if needed (it didn’t move one bit during my test).

The tip of the knife is battened in the bigger section of wood on the left. Perhaps a hole in the knife-blade might be used as a secondary means of tension/safety when a nails is driven through it.

After a first try I immediately felt that, however it seemed a bit dodgy, the blade didn’t move. I could shave of the longest of feathers without a problem, with both hands, giving you more force and control.

By carving the section of wood which supports the spine in the right thickness, you can just put the wood and the bevel on the surface, giving you the same cutting angle with every draw.

I’m looking more into this tool and will post some better quality pics. (took these with a phone).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Very neat work there. I have seen a knife into draw knife before - but none as neat as your solution - other were essentially hammering the point into a piece of wood. Nice mortice and tenon joints there too - many wouldn't be so neat with a chisel - they must have taken a while with just a knife!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sometimes its more efficient to make a tool than belligerently bash on with the one you have,
Sterling job.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Very neat work there. I have seen a knife into draw knife before - but none as neat as your solution - other were essentially hammering the point into a piece of wood. Nice mortice and tenon joints there too - many wouldn't be so neat with a chisel - they must have taken a while with just a knife!

Thank you for the nice words Red.
The joints went surprisingly smooth and fast with the help of a baton!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looking good there, Ruud; I just love reading threads where somebody makes a tool there and then from what's at hand to do something that needs done right away...........great stuff :)

DIM TIM

Apr 10, 2011
Dayton, Ohio USA
Been quite a while since I was here on the forums (life seems to get in the way at times), and I love your thread Ruud. The saw is really nice. Beautiful work.
I'm really impressed with the "Drawknife". Might never have thought about that one. I'll have to add that to my little bag of tricks.

Thanks so much for the great pics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE