Discussing prices in sales threads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
If people want to comment on people's sale prices, then they comment. Who cares?
Its up to the seller to set a realistic price, or open it up to O.N.O. as was the case in these sales.

What, you want this place to be a little island that separate from the rest of the net, where the seller's price reigns supreme and no-one can offer a comment or a comparison?

Threatening bans on people for commenting on someone's prices is a bit extreme I feel, unless its an attack on the person.

This forum can be very dry and over-moderated at times.
Seems to me like Martyn created an issue where there was none, chill out...

Mate, I'm a moderator - it's my job to moderate

According to the rules and general spirit of the site, no?
You come across as a bit trigger happy sometimes Martyn.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Well I wholly and absolutely disagree.

First of all, let me point out thast the posts were reported by members for being out of order. I wont say who reported them, it's irrelevant, but it was no one in the thread. I'm a moderatoir and I have an obligation to at least review it.

I completely agreed with the reporter and feel very strongly that the price a person sets on thier goods is thier business and no one elses. If the price is too high, then the item will not sell and seller will probably drop thier prices. But when a bunch of people start ganging up on a seller, the seller is then under social pressure to lower thier prices and sell at below the price they wanted. This is absolutely out of order IMO. I think it's rude in the extreme, very, very poor form and warrants unequivocal moderation.

Reactions: torjusg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
dommyracer said:
According to the rules and general spirit of the site, no?
You come across as a bit trigger happy sometimes Martyn.

Sometimes I just dont have the patience to argue with a few people who just dont want to be moderated under any circumstances. My first post was a polite request, my second, far less so - because I shouldn't have to make polite requests, twice.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
when a bunch of people start ganging up on a seller, the seller is then under social pressure to lower thier prices and sell at below the price they wanted.

Just like no-one's holding a gun to anyone's head to buy at a particular price, no-one's holding a gun to the seller's head to force them to sell at a particular price.

If the seller is confident that their goods are worth the money and will sell at that price, then its up to them to stand by them.

This site doesn't exist in a vacuum, shielded from the power of market forces....

If you don't want people to comment on seller's prices, I suggest it goes in the rules.

At least then, when you moderate a post that has contravened the rule, you can point them to the rule and not appear to be acting unilaterally.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Well Martyn, we're all entitled to our opinions ;)

Out of all the Mods on here and there are some really good ones, why is it only you that has to argue and threaten people with bans, no one else is like it.
The others Moderate, and the members respect there decision.

Its not difficult to be nice and maybe pm people instead of trying to make people look stupid in threads.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Martyn said:
Scott, if you have something usefull to add, please do so, but can the cheap shots eh? They dont do anybody any favours.

Just expressing my opinion Martyn like everyone else here. Can't see why it is a 'cheap shot' ?

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
look guys this is my opinion, i dont think it was right to all gang up on hjaltlander i think that if you think this needed to be done why didnt you pm him instead of posting it on the forum and getting others involved ?
it seems like you are now picking on martyn ?
leave it out guys and dont ruin the the sites good will
leon

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The Joker said:
Well Martyn, we're all entitled to our opinions ;)

Out of all the Mods on here and there are some really good ones, why is it only you that has to argue and threaten people with bans, no one else is like it.
The others Moderate, and the members respect there decision.

Its not difficult to be nice and maybe pm people instead of trying to make people look stupid in threads.

Just my opinion :rolleyes:

I think all the mods on here get a bit frustrated and tired with locking horns with the same group of people all the time. The same people who just dont like being moderated under any conditions. I've just got more stamina. :D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Martyn said:
I think all the mods on here get a bit frustrated and tired with locking horns with the same group of people all the time. The same people who just dont like being moderated under any conditions. I've just got more stamina. :D

Fair play ;) Good call :cool: ...................But I still think your a tad over zealous sometimes. :)

I hope that wasn't aimed at me......I like being moderated.............Its that whole submissive thing ;)

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The Joker said:
Fair play ;) Good call :cool: ...................But I still think your a tad over zealous sometimes. :)

It has been said before and it is true. I have thicker skin and less patience than many and I have no interest in playing for popularity. It's boith a strength and a weakness.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Martyn said:
Actually a lot of people take it very seriously. Money is involved.

If you rewind a bit further down the page on the thread you hijacked mate. You will actually see i was one of the people telling the others to stop grilling Hjaltlander on his prices.
Cool your jets dude.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bushcraft4life said:
If you rewind a bit further down the page on the thread you hijacked mate. You will actually see i was one of the people telling the others to stop grilling Hjaltlander on his prices.
Cool your jets dude.

Moderation was required mate, it got done. That's life.

My jets are fine. :)

B

brasst

Martyn said:

and an overbearing,over zealous trigger finger as you said money was involved so by your comments i assume that your in favour of members paying new prices for used gear?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
dommyracer said:
If you don't want people to comment on seller's prices, I suggest it goes in the rules.

At least then, when you moderate a post that has contravened the rule, you can point them to the rule and not appear to be acting unilaterally.

Well that may be the best suggestion on this thread so far. But it's worth noting that not everything is going to get a rule written about it. The absence of a specific rule on a particular subject does not mean we dont have an opinion on it.

In the absence of a particular rule, then this...

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

....becomes the rule.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
brasst said:
and an overbearing,over zealous trigger finger as you said money was involved so by your comments i assume that your in favour of members paying new prices for used gear?

The prices a seller wants for his kit has nothing to do with me and it has nothing to do with you. Either pay it, or dont. Your choice. That is a free market.

But when the thread contains several critical comments on a price, then peer pressure starts to force the seller to drop thier prices. That is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE