Disappointing chestnut shells...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
So the other night i roasted some chestnuts on the log burner, and tucked in as quick as i could before the rest of the house could work out what i was up to.:D
Afterwards i was left with a mountain of toasted shells, and i was just about to chuck them in the fire when i thought....hmmm dry....almost fibrous....could i grind them up and use them for tinder?
Well being a newbie, i had no idea and thought why the hell not, rather give it a go than watch come dine with me while dancing factor. Turns out they grind up in to a really soft fibrous material.
Now could i get the bugger to take a spark? No i couldn't, and i put this down to my lack of skill as the spark would hit, the ground chestnut would smoulder, but then go out just as quickly.
So what i was wondering in this rather long ramble - Does anyone know if its possible to use ground chestnut as a form of tinder, is it not worth the bother, and does anyone else use anything a bit out of the norm?

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
try drying them out even more,...

i know they been roasted, but still would have moisture after been peeled from the kernel i reckon,..

Bravo anyway and looking for something to do to avoid the mindnumbing reality dancing on ice factor

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE