Did Mr Mears really design the Wilkinson swords survival knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
well knife choice is often a matter of opinion but for me personally this knife is far too heavy, the blade is too long at over 7inches making the tip dificult to control, the blade is too thick at 6mm it acts as a wedge rather than cuts, the finger guard would get in the way of any carving work, and the ricasso finger depression is right where the most importat part of the cutting edge should be, I dont like the amount of 'belly' the blades has, and i have no use for the saw which being 6mm wide would be very ineffective anyway, and i dont care for hollow handles.

in my opinion I dont think this knife would be of much use for anything other than hitting things with, and I do very little of that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They've tried to make it a jack of all trades, and it therefore is a master of none. I don't think it is possible to make a knife that could be used for so many different things, it would be easier to carry a knife, axe and a folding saw in my opinion!

leon-1

scruff said:
....and probably cheaper!

oh except lots of u like darn expensive knives too

taxi!!!

Very true, but most of us are still fans of the Frost Mora ;) add to that a fiskars axe and a laplander and you have a very cheap efficient combination that most of us would be quite happy with that comes in at around £45- £50:D

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
i've tried to reply to this message so many times now but wen i click on submit everything goes wrong! (cannot refresh...connection to host failure/ lost blah blah techno babble)

anyways i keep trying to say...

...i agree. have me a mora and a IJ puukko but seem to use the mora the most.

theres something incredibly satisfying about getting a low-cost tool that is extremly efficient. i just cant put it down! (n boy can it throw sparks! :) )

anyway i digress. i find both the wilko dartmoor & the lofty a bit unsightly....and there a bit ott for my local woods.

is the MOD survival knife made by wilkinson sword or did i get the wrong end of the thread? i think its slightly reminisent of a leuku. have an old army surplus catalogue sitting about at home has em for >£20!!! 4 times that now (still not my cup of tea tho)

R

raiderrescuer

The Wilkinson sort of reminds me of Tom Brown's Tracker...there were several versions made and they were suppose to be the end all survival knife...heck Tom's knife was even in the movie "The Hunted"

Tracker%20004.jpg

trackerandsheath2pq.jpg

tombrowntracker1-595x375.jpg

Browning's X-3 Model 686:
322686m.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
its odd isnt it? there does seem to be a time in every famous survival/bushcraft instuctors life where for reasons unknown they decide to design a hidious and ridiculous knife which is hilariously usless. (which in some cases i think they probably regret)

I have held the above pictured knife and somthing you cant see from the pictures is that the handle is so big that i could not comfortably hold it unless i used two hands, its not a knife its an orc sword!!!!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Stuart said:
its odd isnt it? there does seem to be a time in every famous survival/bushcraft instuctors life where for reasons unknown they decide to design a hidious and ridiculous knife which is hilariously usless. (which in some cases i think they probably regret)
Have you used the Dartmoor knife? I don't mean this in a bad way but we should test it before we insult it.
They do give the most impressive sparks from a fire steel I have ever seen. Peopel that have used them say it's not quite as bad as you would think. They aren't a bushcraft knife but you can make a fire with them.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Andy said:
Have you used the Dartmoor knife? I don't mean this in a bad way but we should test it before we insult it.
They do give the most impressive sparks from a fire steel I have ever seen. Peopel that have used them say it's not quite as bad as you would think. They aren't a bushcraft knife but you can make a fire with them.
I have. I'm no knife nut (far from it!) but it was awful. It epitomised the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none". :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yes it was in issue 1 of C&S (Monthly version) and I can't help feeling it was a product of it's time. Truth be told, most of us who saw it then probably wanted one. Practically all commercial 'survival' knives back then had some homage to the Rambo knife from what I remember! I have a friend with a Rambo knife and I'm still trying to persuade him to 'chop' it in for something smaller and sharper!

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
The knife I did see around late eighties or early nineties was made by Wilkinson Sword and had Wiseman's signature on the blade. Which one is this then? I seem to remember that there is a black and white diagram / outline of it in his SAS Surival Handbook.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Andy said:

But would you buy or choose a knife just because it can throw sparks and make a fire? The bit of metal that comes with a firesteel can do that too... ;)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Andy said:

Thing is if I was going to carry something that big just to make good sparks for a fire, I might as well also carry petrol engined chainsaw to get the wood!

leon-1

Andy said:

I have, a mate of mine in the forces lent me one for a while, to be honest I preferred both the MOD and the original Wilkie to it, I didn't like its balance or the very large square block of plastic that they called a handle.

The blade was somewhat unweildy to say the least and the suggestions for what you can use specific parts of the blade for are next to useless if you have any idea on how to use a knife in the firs place.

Someone here said it before about "Jack Of All Trades" and that summed it up pretty well IMO.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Andy said:

I have indeed, thats how I formed such a comprehensibly negitive opinion of it.

it does throw good sparks on a firesteel, but then so does a piece of glass

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'll try to bring a dartmoor to the bushmoot for people to play with.

if anyone has a knife that they think can keep up with it, we can make up a little competion :rolleyes: :D

ah suger, that meanws i might have to sharpen it :eek: :D

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE