Did anybody hear You and Your's on Radio 4 Today ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
my father in law lives on a hill

at the bottom theres a counciil grit/salt box,..so the hill bound residents can get home,..

He caught a bloke in a car filling two buckets, putting them in the car boot , he says he needs it to clear his drive,...hahahahha

he lived a mile away, in an estae on the flat ,...

wunt mind but he was in a new Beemer 5 series and wanted to grit the blockpaved drive of his 5 bed detached house!!!!

needles to say he went away with two empty buckets and a footprint on his bum,...

Last edited:

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
we have had exactly 2 inches of snow fall in st albans and its really funny to listen to the lame excuses people have as to why they cant get into work. one guy we got is a big drama queen and his excuse was that he was snowed in, and he lives 5 miles from st albans!
on the subject of road salt, all the councils are stockpiling like crazy and are refusing to use it except for main routes. although i've even seen the streetsweepers going round with a bag or two salting the paths as they go. they must be crapping themselves about any potential accident claims lol
andybysea i know what you mean about salt bins everywhere, the reason they are being taken away is cos of thieving gits going round and removing it all for their own selfish ends. i have to de-ice a car park at work and already i've had a few bags go walkies.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
i ordered a part for a boiler last night it should be delivered tomorrow but the company phoned this afternoon as they are trying to clear a backlog due to weather it won't make it till Friday.
when i left the customer yesterday an elderly single woman who has an immersion for hot water and an open fire. she told me when i left her "i'm resigned to not having heating for a couple of weeks" i put my tools outside to carry to the van so she could close her door but she said "it's good to get air, during the war friends were stuck in Sweden with no fuel and they opened the doors up for half an hour every day to get air"

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
At work today a nurse refused to travel 0.99 miles to help a terminally ill patient, because she was "snowed in". On the other hand, another nurse, genuinely unable to move her car, said something to the effect of "Seven miles away? That's fine, I'll walk".

Some people make an effort, some don't.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
At work today a nurse refused to travel 0.99 miles to help a terminally ill patient, because she was "snowed in". On the other hand, another nurse, genuinely unable to move her car, said something to the effect of "Seven miles away? That's fine, I'll walk".

we are so diverse in our way arent we?,...humans,.. if studied from above somewhere must seem very very peculiar ..

scientists study every other animal on the planet and can plot their behavoir to the minute and predict its nature .....

but when it comes to "us" , well,.....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Completely agree with the view that if people can't survive a few days of snow and the odd powercut then they are really rather pathetic. Now I'd clearly say we can all check in on the elderly and frail. I really wish I could say I had, but my eighty plus year old neighbour checked in on me, with a bag of veg he had brought me from his (frozen) fields. I was sat by the fire in my slippers at the time :eek:. Okay I had changed into them after a few hours of log cutting - but he had been out since first light :cool:

Red

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon

If the world were more just, nurse 2 would receive nurse 1's wages.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
If the world were more just,

i,ve found that for me, it is,..it just takes a little time to work its way around,...

good and bad have a balance,...

not being all yingy yangy,...but there is consequence to everything,...

people just arent aware that the consequence will ultimatley affect them,...directly or indirectly,...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's a can do attitude that's needed, not a sit and whine pitifully, one.

My 91 year old next door neighbour cleared his path and the front of his garden that leads to my path too. He said he'd started so he'd just as soon finish the job properly.
His 50 something, fundamental orifice of a son, saw his father labouring away and walked away round to the shop for his lager and back into the house complaining it was, "Gie cauld!" :rolleyes (we've done their paths and ours every day since; the old man's happy to come out and do his bit, but he shouldn't need to)

I'm glad we still have power, heat, & running water, but if they go out, we'd manage. The pantry, the freezer and the vegetable stores are all full.
The house does not have an open fire or stove though, so we'd feel the cold, but we can dress for that.

Hot water bottles are one of life's good things :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE