Dehydrating fruit leather help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi guys,

I finally replaced my dehydrator after its untimely demise earlier in the year.

I did a few batches of veg and some jerky and thought I would try my hand at fruit leathers.

This is a first for me so found a very simple tutorial on the interweb which was basically -

Peel and core fruit (apples and raspberries)
Add splash of lemon juice
Blitz within an inch of its life
Pour into the precut baking sheets
Dehydrate for 6-8 hours

Here is the before and after

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370614396.410413.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370614408.285452.jpg

Now the end result was more of a fruit flavour crunchy wafer than fruit leather.

Can anyone advise on where I went wrong and what I should be doing instead?
A bit more googling brought up some suggestions of boiling the fruit up first, adding water whilst blending to make it "pourable" etc... Which I will try next time.

Also should I be checking regularly and stopping the dehydrator once it has set but is still tacky?

Cheers in advance, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
The only time iv done fruit leather (also apple and rasp) it was more like a thick juice after blending, rather than the paste you appear to have.
You could add water or perhaps juicier fruit. I did mine on baking trays in the oven so im not sure how you would deal with it in your dehydrator.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Add sugar to maintain elasticity, and don't over dry it. Try drying it in stages to test when your happy with the consistency, i.e. actually stopped the dehydrator and test it after a couple of hours, if not enough dehydrate a bit more- it won't go off.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I guess if its a bit wafer like, you could rehydrate it and use it in porridge?

Break it up into little bits and put the leather in before you cook it!!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Add sugar to maintain elasticity, and don't over dry it. Try drying it in stages to test when your happy with the consistency, i.e. actually stopped the dehydrator and test it after a couple of hours, if not enough dehydrate a bit more- it won't go off.

How do you judge the amount of sugar mate?

Do you just add it, mix it and if it tastes a lot sweeter that is enough?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never mind peeling and coring, etc.
Roughly chop or squash fruit, put it in a pan with just enough water to stop it sticking, and then simmer it until soft.
Strain through an ordinary sieve and that'll remove skins and seeds.
Return the juice to the cleaned pot and simmer down until it thickens, then spread it out on the dehydrator sheets.

Result = fruit leather with no extra sugar or any crunchy bits :D
The prior prep is worth it.

Pears are beautiful done this way :cool:

cheers,
Mary

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks guys, I think I may use the first attempt as an ice cream topping or similar.

I think I may give the simmering option a try tomorrow and I now have a strong desire to get some pears to try out too!

Toddy, do you dry yours in the oven or in a dehydrator, I'm wondering if I'm drying them too much as they become very thin and brittle?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I usually do them in the dehydrator, but they worked fine on silicon sheets in the oven too.
Mine end up like slightly chewy, mildly sticky, and very guzzleable :eek: sweet fruit leather. Not at all crispy. If I want crispy I dry the fruit in slices.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE