Deer skin for hammock under blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Ok, so I have been thinking about buying a wool blanket to go under my hammock this autumn and then I saw this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Ne...ctables_SM&hash=item43a7d63a90#ht_1212wt_1141

it is beautiful. I am thinking of buying it. I am thinking that a wool blanket would get compressed under the body and then not be so warm, but this would not get so squished BUT because the weight of it is a disadvantage.......(I think it will be crazily heavy to carry??????) is it worth it? I mean, would a lightweight blanket do just as well in terms of warmth? I think the skin appeals to my primitive romanticism but practically, do you think I would struggle with its weight?

Has anyone had any experience with one of these skins?

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I know where you're coming from on the romantic primitive side of things! Several folks on here have reindeer skins when camping - i've been looking at them but they are several £££.
When you say under your hammock, do you mean like an underblanket?

Jun 10, 2011
Reading, Berkshire
You're right that the main problem with hammock insulation is that it gets compressed and the insulation value plummets so that's why underquilts are the way to go as, slung under the hammock, they don't compress and you get the full benefit of the lofted insulation they provide. They are usually tailored to the shape of a loaded hammock so they fit fairly closely. The problem with that skin is that if you try and sling it as an underblanket (underskin?) it won't follow the lines of the hammock without some major tailoring. Even then I have no idea of the insulationg properties of deer skin...if it was some kind of furry skin like reindeer, maybe then it might help but at the expense of weight. Interesting idea though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got a reindeer skin which I sometimes slip in between my hammock and underblanket when it's well into the minuses in winter. It's handy for putting on a seat too when the weather is really cold.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I've been thinking about getting some deer skin as ground insulation, mainly for fixed camp affairs. Reindeer skin would be most effective due to the fact the hairs are hollow thus trapping air that you cannot really compress out - I dare say they may do a pretty good job in a hammock even if lying directly on it, but have no personal experience.
Here is one on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-DEE...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Rugs_SM&hash=item483cf4649b
Pretty standard price what I've seen about the place
Here is something similar on woodland ways:
http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/buy-online-reindeer-tanned-fur-hide-155.html
I have seen ones with a siliconised base to make the bottom easier to keep clean and dry but cant find those at the moment.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
When you say under your hammock, do you mean like an underblanket?
exactly that.
The problem with that skin is that if you try and sling it as an underblanket (underskin?) it won't follow the lines of the hammock without some major tailoring.
Oh yes yes, I had not thought of that. Major rucks in deer skin under body all night not good.
derquilts are the way to go as, slung under the hammock, they don't compress and you get the full benefit of the lofted insulation they provide
fourtogarrafia - where can I find out more about these underslung underquilts? they sound great. Thinking against the deer skin now......

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
my friend tanned a hide very similar to that for me that i always use in conunction with a wool army blanket. never found either to be heavy, the hide is in fact very light and has numerous bonuses. hammock or ground dwelling, if you like the traditional side of things i say go for it and give it a try. it is definitly a personal preferance though and there are certainly other options out there

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Thanks Dreadhead, I will think about it, as with all things on eBay, there comes a point when you ether go for it or pass it by. Just wondering if we could use it for a rug in the house if the underblanket doesn't work out ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a reindeer skin that I sometimes bundle into the hammock - as an extra layer during very cold spells (but there'll be my homemade hammock pod too). It helps a bit, but it always rucks up under me and never is quite big enough (though I am larger than the average bear). It is suprising how much wider you get when you measure your arms as well!
I fear that, as an underblanket, you'll need more than one, probably around three or four, possibly more!
They do work well as back warmers if you put them on a chair around a fire on a chilly autumn evening, or as an auxiliary sleeping pad.

ATB

Ogri the trog

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
All deer hair is hollow, thats why they can live at extreems of thier range (caribou in the Arctic / Persian fallow in Iran). It also means that they swim very well because they are quite buoyant.

I have never used a hammock and, to be honest, don't see the need unless in a jungle environment, but I don't think a deer skin would be a good long term insulation item especially if you have to carry it or if there is any chance of it getting wet. I would have thought a sheepskin would be better.

Having said this, why not give it a go. Contact a local stalker and get a skin and tan it yourself, loads of stuff on the interweb on how to do it. The large deer are all out of season now and, when the season opens in August they will be in their summer coat which is considerably thinner than the winter one.

Glyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE