Deer for absolute beginners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I know a red from a roe, and a fallow from a munjac....

(Its the sikas get me confused)

Still making my holiday plans and am considering a bit of stalking

there are holidays out there but they arent cheap.

any suggestions?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
ive only seen a handful of sika deer, and they were in semi-captivity. I would describe them as a cross between a fallow deer, in that they have the white spots on the rear - and red deer in the fact that the stags have that style/shape of antler growth..

Size wise their are that of a small mature red deer in both size/weight (about half that of a red deer i would guess which is probably a bit smaller than a full grown fallow too).

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Come by the house. Just shot three of the buggers in the butt with a sling shot. They keep chewing down my young fruit trees and they've got so used to me yelling at them - they won't leave - without painful persuasion.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
Tengu said:
any suggestions?

There is a chap over here that will let you stalk Fallow for £5 per day! You get to keep the meat and all.

I own stalking rights to Reds in Devon, cost more than £5 a day :lmao:

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
andyn said:
ive only seen a handful of sika deer, and they were in semi-captivity. I would describe them as a cross between a fallow deer, in that they have the white spots on the rear - and red deer in the fact that the stags have that style/shape of antler growth..

Size wise their are that of a small mature red deer in both size/weight (about half that of a red deer i would guess which is probably a bit smaller than a full grown fallow too).

Sika will cross breed with reds, which is a serious problem.
Antler growth is similar to reds, however the sika brow tine is more vertical than that of the red.

Fallow are smaller than sika. A good fallow is around 65lbs weight

John

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Tengu

If you want to get familiar with Sika then get down to the RSPB Reserve at Arne, near Wareham in Dorset. There are literally thousands of Sika in the Purbecks and you will probably see around 200 in one go during a visit to Arne!

It's easiest to park at the RSPB car park situated just before the village of Arne itself. Then make your way to Shipstal Point (a viewing area over Poole harbour) either through the woods, or via the track (bridleway) at Arne Farm if you prefer a level hard surface.

If you time your visit for early morning or the quiet of the evening - and a low state of tide - you will see all the Sika moving out onto the saltings to feed. There is even a double-decker hide set up north-west of this viewpoint which allows you very good views of the deer - oh and the birds too!!

The Sika at Arne are so used to people that they basically ignore you unless approached. I work all over the Purbecks and see deer every day but nothing can beat Arne for sheer numbers of deer in one place at one time!

Hope this helps.

Bob :)

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Hunter_zero said:
Sika will cross breed with reds, which is a serious problem.
Antler growth is similar to reds, however the sika brow tine is more vertical than that of the red.

Fallow are smaller than sika. A good fallow is around 65lbs weight

John

65lb ? you must be talking clean and ready for larder?

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
British Red said:
.243 expanding ?
:D I was thinking .30-06
Well it is posted in the 'lovely grub' bit

Well, I know a red from a roe, and a fallow from a munjac...
(Its the sikas get me confused)
Still making my holiday plans and am considering a bit of stalking
there are holidays out there but they arent cheap.
any suggestions?

I know I'm a bit thick,but what is the question?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
bushwacker bob said:
:D I was thinking .30-06

Horrible Yank round!

Now I have dies for my .303 Brit - that'd make a nice round loaded right from a sporterised Lee-Enfield.

I'm assuming the question involves hunting type stalking since its under "Fair Game" rather than Flora and Fauna.......

Red

andyn said:
Well your question was "Any suggestions?"

What exactly did you want suggestions about? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I suggest you read Bob's answer to your question Tengu:

"Tengu

If you want to get familiar with Sika then get down to the RSPB Reserve at Arne, near Wareham in Dorset. There are literally thousands of Sika in the Purbecks and you will probably see around 200 in one go during a visit to Arne!"

I would say that was pretty much excellent advice

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE