Decent fungi book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Trying to find a decent book to help ID and explain fungi. Primarily I just want it for ID as I'll probably always err on the side of caution initially, make a note of the location and then revisit after further research if necessary.

I saw a huge array of fungi in the woodland near me and lots on fallen trees, so I'm going to go and see what I can find and maybe find something I can use :)

I looked on Amazon but so many of them have really mixed reviews.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
My trusty and very ancient fungi bible finally fell completely to bits last year, and on the estimable Geoff Dann's advice I went out and bought the new Collin's Fungi Guide, by Stefan Buczacki, Chris Shields and Denys Ovenden.............ISBN 978 0 007466481 (paperback) and it's a really great guide; very good text and great illustrations, the one drawback is it's weight of 1100 grammes. But I carry it when needed without any trouble,
and the difference between this and any of the pocket guides is to be measured in light years! It's also compact in size, so not awkward to pack or to use. Highly recommended :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good Mac, I've been after a decent field guide. My Roger Phillips is great but not very portable.

N

Nomad

Went on a half-day fungi foraging course recently and asked what book to get. The answer was "several". That was more geared towards eating, though, and the rationale was that you should check multiple references to maximise the chance of positive ID and minimise the chance of a false positive. for the same reason, the Mushroom Lady also said to get books that have illustrations and books that have photos.

I ended up getting the Collins fungi Guide mentioned by Macaroon, and the River Cottage Handbook. The Collins is excellent - comprehensive range of species and great illustrations. The text entries are a bit terse (uses abbreviations for some bits), but cover the main info. The River Cottage one is specifically about eating, but also includes some poisonous ones that look similar to some edibles. Far less species covered, tending to focus on what is actually tasty. Text is good, easier to read, and it has good photos. Both have a good introductory section, with the Collins maybe a bit more comprehensive.

Agreed that the Collins is a lump of a thing at about A5 size and around 1.5" thick - a bit big for a jacket pocket, but certainly satchel-compliant. I got mine from Waterstones, bought online for about 14 quid, then picked it up from the local shop a few days later. That said, if you can't wait, and you're standing in a shop with it in your grubby mitts, it's well worth the 20 quid normal price to walk out the door with it.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
the collins is a great book but i always end up going back to Roger Phillips for most of my IDs. my better half was on a forage with him last weekend and even Roger Philips uses Roger Philips, hilarious!
it may not be the most portable but it sits in the car when we are out. most of the smaller pocket guides we have are ok but limited and all have some serious errors.
a good way to check is to look up the Blusher (Amanita rubescens). it should read; 'edible when cooked, but poisonous raw. the water it is cooked in should be discarded.' a lot of the books just say edible.

roger philips is the only one id solely rely on... it is big and heavy... but then again, you should do the research at home, and go hunting after.
or bring back specimen and then id them.... i wouldnt go out with a small handbook, and eat something in the woods, stress and exitment could get the better of you, and you can end up wanting something to be a chanterelle 'when its actually something a bit nasty!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE