Dead pheasant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
Whilst walking the dog early this morning, she started barking at some noise behind a neighbour's hedge. I ignored it but a few minutes later a startled male pheasant flew off, Decided to investifate and found another male pheasant, just breathing its last. There were no signs of external injury, i.e. attack by a cat, etc. but there were half a dozen grey, downy type feathers scattered around. I thought it might have fallen off a wall and broken its neck but again there was no indication of that.

Does anyone have any idea what night have caused its death?

Heart attack from the dog barking? But we have disturbed a number of pheasants before.

The other male pheasant? I have seen pheasants fight before to win a mate but never saw an injury result let alone death.

I would be interested to hear ideas.

Thanks

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
could've been attacked during the night and left (eg if fox was disturbed) or fallen out of roost above. could've been old and frail. could've been sick. who knows?

I would probably just eat it and rely on the cooking process killing anything that may have done for the bird (assuming that itwas not just fatally injured)

I saw a road kill pheasent on my way home yesterday, the car in front had hit it ;) I stopped and picked it up, put it in the footwel of the passenger seat and drove on. a few hundred yards later he woke up! Luckily I cold pull over and dispatch it, bt I dread to think what it would've been like had I put the bird in the boot instead :rolleyes:

BIGWOLFY

Dec 18, 2008
west coast of scotland
my guess tow cock pheasant fighting over territory its about that time of year, It does not happen to the death that often but can. If you don't wont to chance it then diner for dog. lucky dog I say.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
It's that time of the year where the "sap's" rising in the cock birds. They will fight to the death.
When I used to keeper before we put the cocks in with the hens we used to de-spur them for this reason and to stop them over treading the hens.
Just think of olde England and cock fighting, them spurs are sharp, naturally.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
It's that time of the year where the "sap's" rising in the cock birds. They will fight to the death.
When I used to keeper before we put the cocks in with the hens we used to de-spur them for this reason and to stop them over treading the hens.
Just think of olde England and cock fighting, them spurs are sharp, naturally.

ah, "sap" is that what it's called ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE