Dead Bark Containers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
When you are looking for dead birch bark to start a fire or process oil, save the interesting pieces.

You will find large pieces with fungi, moss or lichen on them.

The bark will usually have small holes in it, so is not good for a working container, but will make a very good decorative one.

I sometimes form them around glass containers to make vases. Or fill them with woodland treasures for a centerpiece.

My granddaughter, a teacher, has one on her desk that her students fill with found items from the forest.

Soak the bark over night in warm water. Form it, lace the overlap and put a wooden bottom in it.

Harmony

DomesticBirchSbasketbail.jpg

DomesticbirchSbasketfunginobale.jpg

DomesticBirchLbasketFungibaild.jpg

Harmony

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2008
Spokane, Washington USA
JoJo,

The three pictured containers are laced with 3 mm cane. This is the same cane used for chair bottoms. A hank of it will last a life time and it is cheap.

I also lace with spruce and birch root. Deer rawhide would also look good on this type of container.

I talk about how to do this lacing pattern in my thread on "tine' boxes".

Thank every one for your kind words.

Harmony

Earlyturtle - If you want too more than dream about large pieces of birch bark, find a Siberian bark importer. Siberian bark is also very thick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE