Dartmoor Meetup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I'll see you in a couple of days, a few toys to play with, good company and a camp fire, it sounds better and better everytime I think about it.

I am going to bring a fiskars axe along as well as my normal beasty:D, people can see what they think of it:) and talk about it's pro's and cons. I'll also bring the 15euro knife along as it has changed a little since you saw it last with a couple of the other projects that I have been working on (moccassins, the Helle Harding and bits).

Nettles

Oct 24, 2005
Devon
Hi I am new to this, well I have had an interest for a good number of years but never realized untill a while ago how in depth and spitirual bushcraft was to become for me.

But after reading this thread in ragards to the campsite I felt like saying hey would it be alright if I came along to learn and share some experiences. Most people I try to talk about bushcraft either dont get it or really arnt that interseted at all and it might be nice to hang out with like mined people.

Now heres the thing I live in devon and near the area you are planning to do this trip and to be honest it was only a few miles from your proposed campsite that i fell in love with the woods and the out doors after a couple of frinds introduced me to an area of outstanding natral bueauty and so deserted it was unreal.

There wasnt a moblie signal and it was a walk of about 30mins hike away from the car down into a secluded woodland. We spent 3 days there and i never saw anyone else apart from the company I was with. It hit home when we returned to civilsation and I tuely felt as though I had been away in the wilds it was weird walking around the supermarket.

It was becuse of this trip I invested in a hamock and a tarp for there was plenty of opertunity to use it there and be out in the wild. There is also ample space or tents and the ground is soft and the area was very comfertable with the use of the river dart water wasnt a problem.

I just remeber washing in the river just before the daylight left me and then wondering bak to the camp with the water i had collected to see me through the night. The bolders carved out by many years by the river siloeted against the river in the last trickles of light and I knew this is for me.

Anyway I am looking for people to practise and learn the bounty of knowladge that is bushcraft.

But I would be more inclined to share this spot with you guys in return when I visit the spot in the future it might hold fond memorys for me thats the pay off.

You can put tents up tarps bivvys hamocks and be totally alone away from the world.

Just thought I ask anyway see if it might be worth me turning up on friday if not to camp but maybe show you the spot.

Nettles.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've just gone and bought myself a new tent, and am now be eager to try it out this weekend. For those who've seen it, it's the 2 man version of my Blacks Kyntire (3man) - the Tiree. It's replacng my Jack Wolfskin Termite 2 which is alarmingly beginning to age (the underside lets in water, the outer is beginning to sprout holes and the inner seams are beginning to fail - dissapointing after 5 years).

It is a self supporting crossbreed dome/tunnel: only requiring pegging where the poles meet the ground, has an outer that clips onto the poles (a function it shares with the wolfskin that I really like) and what looks like a spacious porch - something the Termite2 doesn't really manage. It's heavier by about a 1kg, and has a larger packsize, but I think I can live with those.

Really looking forward to Friday now!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hi Nettles welcome to the campfire!. I can't speak for everyone here who's going to Dartmoor, but as far as I'm concerned you're welcome to join us for a brew, and a chat!

Your spot sounds interesting, I have to admit...

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Womble said:
Hi Nettles welcome to the campfire!. I can't speak for everyone here who's going to Dartmoor, but as far as I'm concerned you're welcome to join us for a brew, and a chat!

Your spot sounds interesting, I have to admit...

Same for me, come join in, It'll be good to meet you :D

Nettles

Oct 24, 2005
Devon
Well seeing as all I have been doing latley is going out to the woods at every chance I get it would be good for me to meet some like mined people and silly of me to pass it up, so what would be a good time to wonder over and find you guys?

If you like I wold be happy to show you the spot again the pay off for me would be to learn a bit more about the area in the bushcraft sense and maybe learn some skills that may help keep the area preserved through good practice as the spot is local for me.

I would also like to mention that ther is sufficent materials (dead standing trees/wood ect) to practice shelter building and I have read alot about but never made one yet.......

Or just to have the joy in shareing some good company is just as appealing.

Nettles

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Just did a quick read through the thread and the list of attendee's is as follows;

Leon-1
Lithril
Lithril's bird (Sam to the rest of us)
Womble
Arctic Hobo (Maybe)
Wayne
Pumbaa
Borneo Wildman
Moduser (plus son and son's friend)
Clipper
Nettles

A very good turn out :D

leon-1

I am just finishing a couple of Grohmanns, yep will get there hopefully Thursday afternoon once the sheaths are made. Will try to get the fire pit prepared and have some wood sorted for Friday.:D

Neil1 was saying that he may be able to make it down on Saturday so add another to the list.

I keep on telling pumbaa that I will get a scan of an OS map of the area up so that he can find the site, I will do my best to get that up tonight. Sorry pumbaa got snowed under last night with other bits:eek:.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I've been trying to convince jon pickett to come down with me, so there might be another one.
Looking forward to it, Im going to leave as early as I can Friday morning. Which prob wont be that early, but aiming to get down late lunch time. :D
Got my flippers packed :umbrella: :D

D

darren

i wish i could come to the meet because i live so close to dartmoor but i'm in france for half term! grrrr. is there going to be another one?? i know theres one for xmas but if its too close to christmas then i wont be able to make it. i could if its like a week and a half before xmas. i'll invite my mate whos going to asia with me. i'm gunna get him on this. bdw to make you a bit jealous, i'm in france (northern france) its similar to dartmoor in certain places a few woods, not ot bad for walking and camping etc, its reall sunny heer and it hasnt rains that much, like england, hope you all have enough wood to make a raft because thats probably the only way you'll get to plymouth and dartmoor if the weathers correct. :lmao: ow and do you have to bring anything to the show and tell because i dont have anything, i havent made anything so i'd be stuffed. :lmao:

leon-1

Darren, some of us get together for a walk or a weekend on Dartmoor every now and then, just keep an eye out in the meetups and social chatter part of the forum. As far as do you have to bring anything, the answer to that is no, if you have made something and want to bring it along or if you want to crib about something that hasn't worked the same, there is always someone who has been in a similair situation and can sympathise or help as the case may be.:)

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Just wanted to say to all you guys, enjoy the meet this weekend, cause the 'oopp north contingent will be living it up in the lakes as well. Cant wait to see the pics and share experiences :)

Have fun, be good
Garry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE