Dartmoor 4 " Return Of Te Wood Smoke "...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have 9 spindle's and 5 large willow hearth boards.

We might even make fire- this time :rolleyes:

Failing that, I'm going with adam's plan and soaking one in diesel..!!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Thanks Al, I'll try and get one done tomorrow.
I have some cedar boards that work quite well for fire bows, if you wanted me to knock a couple spare sets up?

Sounds good pal :)

I have some Red Cedar in the boot of the car, but I'm saving that for some hand drill practice during the long nights! Should be fun...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Collected a load of pine sap today, could maybe make some glue on the weekend...
A large section/trama layer of artists conk and I found some amethyst deceiver 'shrooms :) A first for me.

I can also bring the stuff to make char-cloth if anyone wants to go through the process.

Its going to be a long monday to thursday, me thinks :p

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi TBL , is it scots pine sap ? only i want to have another go at pine candles , any clue only my last attempt was not very good , i smelt nice like a radox bath , but if i were relying on my efforts for light , no good !!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Any way , i think with all the various things planned , group meals , foraging, gathering,walking , learning , eating , drinking, and with record temperatures forecast, so water based activities , i think we may have to extend the meet until the weather changes, we run out of food and drink, and things to do and talk about , so probably lead right into the next one in the snow , about Nov some time me thinks , what do you think ?

Hope after the build up and anticipation , its not a damp squib !! Dont think so some how ...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I have been up there most of the day , sorting out the main area , tidying Dave53s bedroom , cleaning emptying and preparing the hangi, sorting out the fire pit etc , then i went on a wander (like you do ) sloes are ripe , wortleberries coming along nicely (not a vintage year) blackberries everywhere, crab apples in abundance, still plenty of chanterelles and other bits that some of you with more knowledge can get .
Thunder box, bracken clearing and erection of tarps , i have saved for Adam on Weds , he gets all the best jobs !
Oh yeah and wheelbarrowing copious amounts of firewood, he is going to be knackered...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would love to try some of those chanterelles, so keep that in mind ;)

The sap is from Sitka spruce (I think) and I have about two ounces, give or take... Could have got a load more but its messy stuff.

I still reek of pine now!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
You were not suppsed to announce it to the world ! what happens if your mother or teacher is reading this thread, i said to say you had the dentist , not mucking about in the woods with a bunch of bushcrafters, you tomatoe !!
Any way see you Friday sweetheart , and mum will think i have washed and ironed your school uniform upon your return , our little secret hey !!

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
NOOOOOOOOO
I am sorry guys I am not going to be able to make it on Friday darstadly family problems, kids who would have em
Was really looking forward to the big meet I am so damned @&@&@&@ annoyed with the SWMBO
Where's my pig sticker......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE