Dark age meet up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We are well up for.

We got the ye olde peasant larper look, rather than the completley authenic saxon/dane look. All natural coloured not a pink fluffy squeeky elf in sight. Do the girlies have to wear girlie kit? i am quite happy to knock up some leannes for me and my daughter, but I need notice. i prefer to be a heathen serf than be made to wrap my hair.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Are there any good books on this stuff - I can get hold of books on weaponry no problem but other bits are more difficult.
Just general interest as I doubt I'll make it over!

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Hrolfi the Red at your service......you could count me in depending on dates. Kit's not a problem. Mine is earlier period hiberno-norse style, would that do

Just done something similar for a week at Largs viking festival, but would love to do it in a properly built house/farmstead. I think it's a fantastic experience. It just adds so much more depth to the whole thing.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Might be up for a bit o that, again work permitting, Can I get to wear a hat with horns can I can I can I can I, oh go on go on go on. Oh ok then a fleece bunnet it'll have to be then.
Seriously if I can knock up some kit I'm certainly dead pheasant (still game).

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Horned Helmets are one of the only things that will get you thrown off site, and I'll help. :buttkick:

There are a couple of books available if you want the real detail like this and this but they go into far more detail than you need to start with.

Basically a tunic is like a big, long sleeved tee shirt made of wool or linen and trousers cut like track suit bottoms work fine.

Tie a belt round with a bit of leather and some discreet leather boots and you should pass first inspection.

If you want to improve later on, you'll have the chance to see some better kit to give you ideas there.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Only joking about the helmet Wayland I know they never had them it was more of a fleecy felt type cap, same sort of look as those bobble hat affairs without the bobble you used to get is that right?

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
A skirt and bare breasted. I'll definitely be coming along!

:D

No no, thats the Amazons meet we held last week, didnt you come along?

The women didnt bare the flesh in the dark ages, but I believe the men wore tights. I can get you some nice fishnets if you like.:nana:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Quick update.

Just talked to Dave, the site manager, and he's defiantly up for this.

He also says he has some spare tunics, belts and bits that we can borrow to help out.

Seems like trousers will be the priority for male kit and I'll check out about female kit this weekend.

I'm over there on Saturday so I'll try to sort out some dates then.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thinking of making some clothing, and wondered..
When the weather turns wet, would people depend on a woolen tunic or have a leather tunic oiled, to go over the top. If so would it be long sleeve. Having trouble finding info on the various sites mentioned.
Take it it depended on your status in the dark ages?

Cheers.

Addo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE