Darche

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Looks like a light, quick and easy alternative to a tent. Very interested to hear how you get on with it, may get one myself if theyre any good.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Looks quite similar (but different) to something Vihe do ~ Vihe get good reports :approve: . The mesh net should help cut the condensation ~ but, if you're concerned, carrying a micro-fibre (or chamois) towel should resolve all but the worst issues ;) .

I also look forward to your findings.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
…and the verdict is...

Positives
1) Netting is real midge netting, so useful up north.
2) Potential for some nice moments lying in your hybrid, cooking under the big flap, looking out at the world etc.
3) Cheap (in Australia - not so cheap once you have shipped it to the UK and paid duty and an £8 RM "handling" charge)

Negatives
1) No pole pockets so it falls down all the time. Serious comedy potential
2) Too small inside so it would be a condensation nightmare, with your sleeping bag drenched by morning
3) Can't sit up in it
4) Iffy sewing; peg anchor points would pull out, I reckon, in the first big blow
5) Very hard to tension up correctly, especially with the main door open. Relies heavily on good peg placement

Verdict : save up for a Hilleberg Akto or use a tarp.

If anyone wants to come over and pick up this curiosity for further experimentation, or perhaps a pass-around, be my guest.

Last edited:

vomo

Sep 3, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I recently purchased the Darche Hybrid tent. Tried it out last night in the backyard before taking it away. The weather was approx 12degrees overnight and there was a light breeze with a little bit of rain. No condensation at all. You need to make sure the side vent is open, which can make it a bit breezy, so I want to try it again in colder weather to see if it's a problem having a draft keeping me awake.
There's not much room inside and the side panel does blow in a bit making contact with the bag so I am also interested to see how it handles heavy rain.
I will be using it for hiking, so the main criteria I had when buying it was its light weight. It's even lighter with a walking pole because you can use that in replacement of the one that comes with it (however I don't use walking poles).
The only problem is the spot where the little pole holds up the tent - it can slip easily. You can sew a pocket in there to hold it in place or put the pole on an angle.
Overall I am happy with it, but may buy a dearer one for winter camping.
It's a perfect summer tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE