Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I´m in! I´ll even do it next week when I come home from my exhibition.
I assume I´m allowed to bring my camera?
Yup camera's are permitted else how do we get to tag along?

To be fair it would need to be in Winter to be period correct. They would have been out camping in Winter to run traplines (when the furs were at their prime) whereas in Summer they would have been home farming.
According to The Hunters of Kentucky by Ted Franklin Belue long hunting commenced in April until late fall after the second or third frost as the winter killed hides cracked along vein lines
Oh! That was an important detail yes...
I´ll do it next week and then again when winter comes. Am I allowed to make myself a snow cave in the winter?
Yup anything long that line is alway good :)

speaking of winter here is a similar setup of mine from last winter
i hope its ok to post them here MOT

i realize this does not count for this year...so i'll be sure and get out when the snow flys...woods
Any photos of old style camping is gratefully recieved

i'm running winter ideas through my head at the moment

co incidentally anyone interested should have a look at Dave Canturburys 21st Century Long Hunters youtube series

(lets not get into a debate about the individual though please just his info ta :))

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....According to The Hunters of Kentucky by Ted Franklin Belue long hunting commenced in April until late fall after the second or third frost as the winter killed hides cracked along vein lines.....

Interesting. I'll have to research that further. I really haven't gone deep into the long hunters but most of what I've found indicates hunting from Oct. until Spring.

Pretty much coincides with the current trapping seasons; partly for the two reasons I originally cited (and the later Rendevous to trade furs were always in the Spring) plus in odern times, that's when the season's open for legal trapping )which wasn't a concern in the 1700s)

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I'll definitely be having a go at this in the near future! I've got a re-enactment coming up in September and was planning on going 100% so I'll be sure to get some pics for you guys. Great thread MoT!

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
I KNEW I shouldn't have read these Daniel Boone threads...

I have the Czech army bedroll on the way (I'll make some changes to this, mainly replacing the bivi bag), the norwegian telemark backpack is on route (until I can order the Frost River pack in a week or so) - now I'm on the hunt for a canvas tarp and maybe a canvas bedroll. Think I'll probably have to make that out of 2 cot covers though.

Now I need to get some awls and decent needles and get the wife working :D

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

I have the Czech army bedroll on the way (I'll make some changes to this, mainly replacing the bivi bag), the norwegian telemark backpack is on route (until I can order the Frost River pack in a week or so) - now I'm on the hunt for a canvas tarp and maybe a canvas bedroll. Think I'll probably have to make that out of 2 cot covers though.

LOL, its addictive.... I ve ended up with loads of gear, found its brought a whole old way of camping, that I used to do, and I am eenjoying it... welcome to being a Boonie

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Just need a pack horse to cart all my gear around now! Although if I can replace the horse with a Rottweiller then I'm onto a winner...

Cheers MOT! If my gear has arrived by Friday then I'll try and get out into the woods for a quick overnighter. I know it's only half the challenge, but I'm only allowed out to play one night a week! I'll make sure I have a good trek round the place first to make up for not packing up and moving onto another camp.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Welcome aboard

One word of warning, if searching for canvas bed rolls, watch out for the vintage British army ones. They all seem to have been midgets back in the 50's

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
Welcome aboard

One word of warning, if searching for canvas bed rolls, watch out for the vintage British army ones. They all seem to have been midgets back in the 50's

Cheers Albus.

Struggling to find one at all at the moment. I'm thinking I can butcher 2 of the cot bed covers to knock something up. That way I could use it in a similar fashion to the Duluth Pathfinder cot thing if I fancied it. But for 10% of the cost :D

Just need a pack horse to cart all my gear around now! Although if I can replace the horse with a Rottweiller then I'm onto a winner...

Cheers MOT! If my gear has arrived by Friday then I'll try and get out into the woods for a quick overnighter. I know it's only half the challenge, but I'm only allowed out to play one night a week! I'll make sure I have a good trek round the place first to make up for not packing up and moving onto another camp.
Dont forget pics and a trip report :)
You'll be surprised at weight its reassuring rather than bulky I feel.
One night out I know where you're coming from

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Ladies and Gentlemen, I humbly submit for your judgement my first attempt at this challenge. I was away on a re-enacting event this weekend and thought I'd go all out authentic. I relied on the kit in my primitive camping kit thread and pitched my shelter in the dark on Friday night. The event was part of a French and Indian War re-enactment in the Kent town of Westerham next to the childhood home of General Wolfe. We were camped in a field with some woods behind us and had a fairly nice area. I put together a fairly rudimentary lean to and settled for some sleep, during the night it started raining and my tarp revealed several leaky patches but nothing above a gentle drip and I was able to move out of the way for a fairly good nights kip. I used my whitney blanket with a 5x5 piece of heavy wool broadcloth for a little extra warmth around my legs and my heavy wool shirt for upper body warmth. This created a few problems as the blankets slide over each other and I struggled to construct my usual blanket cocoon so I will need to look at solutions for that at some point. I had my pack as a pillow and wore a furry hat for a little extra padding and warmth.

Saturday we did our re-enactey thing and a good time was had by all, I brought an old cast iron wok as a fire pit and used a simple tripod of branches to cook bacon in the morning and a nice beef stew with a drop of red wine for dinner. Sunday night was a more eventful experience as I was woken by a young fox jumping on my tarp and having a jolly good time doing it. I scared it off with a couple of gently thrown twigs and settled back to sleep only to be awoken by said fox snuffling around my hat (its face a couple of inches from mine as I spun round to see what it was will stay with me for a while, imagine waking up to find Mick Hucknall trying to get into bed with you and you'll have some idea). I scared it away a little more vigorously this time and settled back down for another couple of hours.

Today it rained like mad, luckily I had rearranged the shelter to be a little more effective and I had somewhere to stash my kit whilst we did our thing. Highlights of the weekend include sleeping in 1 3/4 blankets, practicing some skills and my run-in with the fox. Low-lights include cutting my hand on the flint of my musket and breaking the blade of my knife battoning some firewood. All in all a great weekend and some useful experience!

9704922084_9cce1bf43b.jpg

Now for a confession, on the basis that I wanted to make sure I got a decent nights sleep I did take some extra kit. On the pic above you can probably see a blue canoe bag which I brought as an 'emergency kit' (or rather 'ensuring I'm well for work on Monday kit') which consisted of a lightweight sleeping bag and bivvy bag in case the weather got really bad and my shelter proved insufficient. We were also not allowed to gather foliage etc for bedding and so I used an inflatable roll mat. I'm not sure if this therefore counts as completion of the challenge but as a first attempt I'm pretty happy. I'll try to follow up with more pics later in the week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE