Custom Made Scandi - help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
Hi - for some time now I've been using the Kellam "wolverine" which has served me very well but the time has come for me to commission a one-off hand made knife of my very own.

I'm very keen on the clean lines and simplicity of the Scandinavian style knives and have been looking around for a good maker who can make something that is both aesthetically beautiful and robust enough to be a practical hardworking field knife.

I've seen a few websites and whittled it down to 2 possibles but any advice or guidance from those who have done this before would be very welcome. This will be a "once-in-a-lifetime" purchase so I'm prepared to push the boat out, my budget is around £200-300 UK.

Also - dasmascus blades? They look stunning and are obviously stronger but are the benefits worth the extra cost?

thanks

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I don't think you'll need a damascus blade, not for a bushcraft user anyway. :) Your budget is big, i'm commisioning something too at the moment, but on www.britishblades.com.

Have a look, i'm sure someone can make you something for 200-300 £ :eek:

cheers

leon-1

TheViking said:
I don't think you'll need a damascus blade, not for a bushcraft user anyway. :) Your budget is big, i'm commisioning something too at the moment, but on www.britishblades.com.

Have a look, i'm sure someone can make you something for 200-300 £ :eek:

cheers

Yep, I'll second what Andy has to say on BB, there is a little crossover on this site from them so you may get some good advice here:D . It is worth going over and having a look, the guys are also very helpfull if you decide to make your own.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
british blades has a whole section on scandi knives, There are a number of people on there who make some of the best around. With your budget you can have whatever you want. It's all exciting getting a knife made what with choosing woods, bolsters etc :D
I don't really like the look of damacus on scandi knives.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Your budget is pretty huge for a working knife. Damascus is pretty but you would probably do as well with a laminated blade. You should definately pop over to British Blades, talk to some of the makers work out just what you want in a knife.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
How about a hand-made scandi Packpal from Allan Blade? Mine arrived this morning, It looks and feels fantastic and has a wicked edge straight from the box. I'm going to post a review soon or you could use the search facility to dig up loads of info on this particular knife.

Oh, its cheap too. Mine was about £50 delivered with a kydex sheath :eek: :eek: :

Dunelm

Forager
May 24, 2005
County Durham
thanks for the info. Yeah, I know £200+ is a lot for a knife but its something I've wanted for a long time and something I will keep and use (hopefully) for the rest of my life.

If I was being practical I would spend the money on a new Nanok sleeping bag and a plane ticket to walk the Kings Trail in Sweden but sometimes your heart rules your head.

I've checked out the BB site - lots of good info. I'm leaning towards either Dave Barker/Brukskniver or Magnus Hjelmgrem at the moment. Both of them have the mixture of simple practicality and eye-catching design I'm loking for.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
As Andy has mentioned I have had several of Dave Barkers knives, four, to be exact, with a fifth on the way. Six if you include the working inch long scandi.

:D

I can wholeheartedly recommend his work and he is a great bloke to deal with. I also have a very nice knife by Magnus as well, which although made by him as a piece to test techniques is of the highest workmanship as well.

Ah, choices!

:rolleyes:

Although for a budget of £300 you could have a knife from both of them........

;)

PB knives always look superb and the work of guys like Tvividr and Otto is excellent and very reasonable, due to the number of guys competing for a small market share.

Good luck in deciding!

Danzo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE