Custom CPM 154 and sambar stag bowie for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm reluctantly putting this stunning bowie up for sale to raise some funds. The knife was commissioned from Irish knife maker Davy Moore a few years ago has only ever been carried on a boar hunting trip, but never used. It's my most valued knife and has been kept on display, out of its sheath, so has been well looked after.

As you can see, it's a big ol' bowie knife, but with a modern twist, since the blade is made from CPM 154 steel. Not much maintenance to worry about here, as it won't rust and is shaving sharp. The blade is flat ground and has a hammer textured finish and some vine file work on the spine. The swedge is unsharpened. The guard and but plate are hammered nickel silver.
The handle is premium sambar stag antler with lovely texture and colour, black spacers on both ends and a nickel silver throat spacer.

The tooled leather sheath was made by the maker and incorporates a 1913 buffalo nickel. However, if the sheath is not to your taste I can make up something to your spec for a small fee.

The blade is a hair under 9.5 inches and the handle is 5. It has a nice feel and balance and has been described as 'fast' in the hand.

The price was £399, now £295 including papal fees. Given the cost of these materials I think it's a bit of a steal :)

All original documentation from the maker are included in the sale. If you have any other questions, just ask.

I am happy to post this anywhere in the world at your cost.

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks �� it's a Winchester alright: a 1961 model 94 in 30-30, hence the top eject as hugh has noticed.

It's great fun to shoot with the iron sites. Light recoul but plenty of knock down power.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks. I kind of see the 30-30 as a compromise between those two. I'm not likely to encounter anything that would require the extra power in the 45-70. I wouldn't mind a little pistol call trapper, but it is almost impossible to get a pistol calibre or anything over a 30 cal here due to our strange and restrictive laws :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I must admit I would never trade away the 1894. It can hold ten .357 mag in an 18" barrel. Very easily reloadable being straight wall (no lubing etc needed), hits hard, accurate to 200 yards plus - its a good calibre.

30-30 is a good compromise as you say, and I too have no real need for a 45-70....but.....I love shooting slug from my shotgun and I see the 45-70 as a rifled version of the 500 grain bullet - and also a straight wall :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
In an ideal world we'd have one of each :) The levers get hit with claims of inaccuracy, but to be honest, if you can;t get within 200 yards of what your shooting you shouldn't be shooting! The longest shot I've taken with the 30-30 was under 150 yards but it was at a running boar and it dropped with one shot.

P.S. We can't reload here either, which is terrible. If I could I could make the 30-30 much more versatile.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'm going to reduce this down to £270 for an absolute bargain for a custom made cpm154 blade. Old school looks with modern materials.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE