Curry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My Recipe for curry sauce to take out or make on the run (on Swedish army trangia, sivy burner and simmer ring)

splash oil
veg stock cube
1 tsp black pepper
3 onions choped fine
5 cloves garlic
4 tsp curry powder (london curry from stall in Norwich market)
1/2 pint water
1/2 block of coconut
or 1 tin of coconut milk rather than previous 2

simmer fo 20 mins and add in what you like then simmer for another 10 mins or so. my favorite is either bunny (pre fry) or chick peas, eat with bread. this can be made in large batch and carried in a knotted bag for heating up a day later and has been fine.

what do others make for stew/curry/sauce from scratch not packet?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Curry food of the gods

Anything with cream cocnut is good. Very filling.
I tend to Bhuna my spices into the onion before i start, but I think my curry style is more pakistan/kashmere than india. When we are out we cook on a wok with a fire in cast iron indian stove we bought in B&Q years ago. I have tried doing bread tandoor style by slapping it on the side of the stove, but it weren't that good. When out if i do a curry i tend to dry fry the spices with a mix from the asian supermarket then chuck in the meat and liquid. Never thought to bring coconut cream with us, should really as bumps up the calories in any meal.

I have no idea what london curry powder is and I lived in ilford which london curry homeland:drive: whats innit?

I tried Tandor and the only way i could get it to work was to stack cinderblocks to about 3 foot tapering in at the top and light a big fire inside. I have seen it done with a large steel road plate that the gas company uses, if you do take one the hole soon gets filled with a car so no probs. I have used ordinary bricks, you dig them out of the hottest part of the fire, put you dough in the frog and place another brick on top (this was when i was in peckham so more urban-craft. brockwell park and peckham rye park used to have lots of bits the keepers did not go.

I'm not sure whats in that london curry as i think the stall holder mixes it himself, i have a little book, one of the rightway series that gives lists of dry mixes, its quite good but the best one is the madhur jafrey curry bible.

i do love anything with coconut milk or the coconut blocks, probably why i'm a fat bugger. makes even the roughest cooking taste smooth.

if you are sitting around a stable fire or have a even flame stove thats not too hot and have some grated coconut (v light) try this.

1lb white sugar
1/4 pint milk
simmer till it forms a soft ball then take off heat, add in 5oz grated dessicated cocoanut, spread out on something non stick or that you dont mind eating and let it cool. cocoanut ice :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE