Curious Robin (large picture)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I was out gathering up a few pignuts on the farm today (just a very few though - I'm hoping they will multiply) and this little fellow came and sat right beside me, and gave me a lovely song and then watched me mess in the soil. I suspect he was hoping to explore the hole for worms - I hope he found some!

Red

513402270_f3659f1350_b.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - thats the basic garden Robin here. They have no fear at all I've had one perch on the handle of my spade before now when I took a breather from digging. As jojo says though - they are right little thugs - afraid of nothing! I love them too. My Grandad always said they were Santas watchers - and they would tell him if you were bad. Its amazing how often when I'm being a bit "free spirited" how often there is a Robin to see :eek:

Red

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks like you have started something here!!!

Here is a cheeky little fellow who frquented our BBQ on holiday a couple of weeks ago

Robin.jpg

Great picture by the way red!

Bobbin

Jan 20, 2007
England
Great pix both :D

Being a bit of a Robin fan myself - not that you'd guess of course :) - I've done a bit of reading about them (David Lack - The Life of The Robin) and apparently it's only the British Robin that gets so friendly/close to humans. Those on the European mainland tend to hide away from human contact so perhaps that old adage about the British being 'a nation of gardeners' has something to do with it...

My garden borders on two Robin territories so it's rare to go outside and not see one...and yes, the minute I start to dig or weed there's a sudden flutter of wings and a pair of black beady eyes watching for the first insects to be turned up.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Robins in Belgium come very close to people. When I'm working with my grandfather in heis small piece of woodland ( I'm blessed!) there are always a few robins hat will sit right next to us. Waiting till we move so they can have a look at the ground we just dug up.

Michiel

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Great pic Red, nice composition. The only thing I'm wondering is if you've done any colour correction? Looks like the pic was taken with a flash, am I right?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It was with (automatic) flash but no colour correction dr. The one thing I did to was remove a spot of flash bounce from the eye. - he was nearly sat on the flash :)

Red

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Cheeky buggers aren't they? There's some near my parents that will happily eat out of your hand.

A couple of simple filters in Photoshop or similar can work wonders to bring back the colour to pics taken with a flash. About time someone created a cost effective flash that doesn't have that effect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE