cure/ways of alleviating a cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Androo

Nomad
Dec 8, 2010
NW UK
I echo what rick_uk3 says about Vit C being a myth...

If I get a cold or flu (not very frequently now) I swear by this drink:

- Juice of half a lemon (Maybe Orange or perhaps any citrus fruit, but Lemon has always had a great rep.)
- Capfull of Apple Cider Vinegar (Amazing stuff!)
- Teaspoon of Honey (like mentioned before local is better than commercially produced, unless you can splash out on some Manuka Honey - which is amazing in so many ways)
- Some say a smidge of Cayenne pepper, but I find it's aggressive nature not to my liking!
Top it all up with hot water

Drink.

Maybe no more than 4 a day, and I suppose you could throw a dram in there, and even some nettles.

I found that it lifts the congestion often experienced with colds/flu/hayfever, and gives one a few hours of respite from clogged lungs and airways.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Sadly there is nothing to get rid of a virus like this, vit C is an urban myth with no clinical evidence supporting it.......

i once asked a nurse i was working with what he thought about the idea of taking vitamin C to clear a cold, he told me that if you take a huge daily dose of vitamin C you can clear just about any cold within seven days, or you can not bother and it'll last about a week :)

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
if you can catch it early before it gets hold use vicks first defence, not a beliver in shop medicines but this deffo works for me and has stopped cold /flu from fully forming if used as per instructions.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Some say a smidge of Cayenne pepper, but I find it's aggressive nature not to my liking!...

Cayenne will definitely clear your sinuses; whatever it's put in. I like it in my hot chocolate (but more than just a smidge) whether I have a cold or not.

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hi, Sam

First, are you sure it's just a cold? Several other conditions (including Lyme disease) start with flu-like symptoms, so if you've been anywhere you might have been exposed to tick or other bites, go see your GP.

If you're sure it is a cold, the best you can do is try to alleviate the symptoms until it has run it's course. My personal favourite recipe is:

2 teaspoons of clear honey
2 teaspoons of pure lemon juice
2 teaspoons of dark rum (Woods 100 works best for me)
Make up to a large mugful with boiling water, and drink as soon as cool enough.

Hope this helps, and you recover soon.

Alan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i once asked a nurse i was working with what he thought about the idea of taking vitamin C to clear a cold, he told me that if you take a huge daily dose of vitamin C you can clear just about any cold within seven days, or you can not bother and it'll last about a week :)

Thats about right lol, you get lots of old wives tales when herbal cures come up in conversation nobody seems to mention the body would heal with or without taking some powdered roots or drinking some concoction or other. Things like a decongestant such as Sinex or First Defence help with the symptoms but don't cure or prevent the infection.

Well worth a read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treatment-Alternative-Medicine-Trial/dp/0593061292
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_or_Treatment

Viruses will inherit the earth, they are a dam sight smarter than we are.

Hi, Sam

First, are you sure it's just a cold? Several other conditions (including Lyme disease) start with flu-like symptoms, so if you've been anywhere you might have been exposed to tick or other bites, go see your GP.

If you're sure it is a cold, the best you can do is try to alleviate the symptoms until it has run it's course. My personal favourite recipe is:

2 teaspoons of clear honey
2 teaspoons of pure lemon juice
2 teaspoons of dark rum (Woods 100 works best for me)
Make up to a large mugful with boiling water, and drink as soon as cool enough.

Hope this helps, and you recover soon.

Alan

i am 99% certain its just cold my mum had it and so has my son now its my turn

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thats about right lol, you get lots of old wives tales when herbal cures come up in conversation nobody seems to mention the body would heal with or without taking some powdered roots or drinking some concoction or other. Things like a decongestant such as Sinex or First Defence help with the symptoms but don't cure or prevent the infection.

Well worth a read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trick-Treatment-Alternative-Medicine-Trial/dp/0593061292
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trick_or_Treatment

Viruses will inherit the earth, they are a dam sight smarter than we are.

Another old wives' tale is that we get colds because of exposure to cold or wet weather. We really get them from crowding into warm buildings (full of infected people) to escape said weather. Hence as M of T said, "...my wife had it and it's my turn."

Wel actually i said me mum and my son had it :) my wife is just getting it we suspect
Edit but yeah this is a valid point when its very cold the virus cant survive
i have this arguement at work every winter when people feel the need to crank the heating to tropical settings,

Last edited:

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sadly there is nothing to get rid of a virus like this, vit C is an urban myth with no clinical evidence supporting it as a preventative, you can brew nettles, Elderflower, grand dads prize Geraniums or whatever, its a virus and will run its course. Fluids, paracetamol or ibuprofen to control your temp if your OK taking them and a shot of whatever takes your fancy as a nice treat to help cheer yourself up.

I used to love a tot after a night shift before I retired, my body clock used to say "Its night time, have one" and I'm a great believer in listening to my body :)

You are wrong, I repeatedly post solid medical evidence that some plant lectins are antiviral, and work with humans. It becomes quiet tiresome to have any meanful discussion on the use of plants spoiled by dogma.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0166354292900387

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I swear this works...... a really weird self professed "witch" showed me this!

Boil a litre of water add juice of a couple of lemons (have mixed it with oranges too) a good amount of honey and a couple of oz of finely sliced root ginger Let it simmer for a few minutes and get it in a teapot and drink the lot!

Obviously there's lots of good stuff in the ingredients which is not going to do you any harm anyway but I feel the symptoms ease straight away.

A hit of Rum/Whiskey is not gonna harm either, I don't mind an excuse for a dram

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You are wrong, I repeatedly post solid medical evidence that some plant lectins are antiviral, and work with humans. It becomes quiet tiresome to have any meanful discussion on the use of plants spoiled by dogma.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0166354292900387

Problem is xylaria is that a lot of herbal stuff does not stand up when studied in a controlled clinical manner. Lots of plants are developed into the drugs we use today however they are heavily researched and the processed drugs are quality and dose controlled, not just boiled in the pot by some quack . Go and read the book I linked, you won't believe it but I'm an optimist, it may make you think.

Thankfully the EU are regulating herbal medicines, they cannot be called a medicine unless backed up with clinical evidence showing they work...there will be big gaps on the shelves in herbal remedy shops lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE