cure/ways of alleviating a cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sat here nursing a bottle of covonia and another of lucozade on my night shift i was wondering what others used when they have a cold?
my old man swears by a bottle of scotch and mixing it with orange when he is under the weather.
annoyingly i dont usually get colds but this one has really knocked me on my butt and typically i have a course next thursday that i have been looking forward to for half a year

Is that elderberries soaked in 40% or more vodka Red? one for the autumn i think unfortuantely not gonna help now though

As for the JD it would taste like medicine i've not drunk that since i was 16 and had a very bad disagreement with it,
honey and lemon/lime is a classic combination that i will be having tomorrow when i get home

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Is that elderberries soaked in 40% or more vodka Red? one for the autumn i think unfortuantely not gonna help now though

As for the JD it would taste like medicine i've not drunk that since i was 16 and had a very bad disagreement with it,
honey and lemon/lime is a classic combination that i will be having tomorrow when i get home

Substitute your favorite whiskey; the principle doesn't change.

Basha72

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2006
Torbay
A brew of nettles and lemon is supposed to help alleviate it ! The only thing that works for me is day nurse or if I'm not working night nurse

Dave

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
I used to be very prone to getting colds and have in my time used most prescribed meds and can tell you, none of them work that well.

I don't know about Elderberries or Nettles (But I will be investigating them, for future reference) but here is what works for me.

You will need:
A means to boil water
1 Measuring jug
1 Jar of honey (cheapo honey is fine for colds, local sourced honey is better for hey fever) Per day
2 Lemons Per day
1 Orange Per day
1 Lime (optional) Per day
4 - 6 tablespoons of sugar Per jug
A knife
A Spoon
A Drinking vessel

Boil enough water to fill the measuring jug, slice one lemon, half and slice the orange and lime, chuck 'em in the jug along with the sugar, coverwith half the jug of honey and pour in your boiling water.

Give it a good stir.

Let it brew for a minute or two, pour it into your drinking vessel, inhale the vapours it gives off through your nose and let it cool a bit, then gulp it down.

Repeat until the jug is empty, then sleep

If you have trouble sleeping, try an Irish coffee, heavy on the Irish.

On waking, give the used sliced citrus a good squash in the jug, slice up and chuck in the remaining lemon and orange and lime halves, add your sugar and honey, pour in you hot water and crack on with inhaling and drinking again.

If you feel peckish, chicken soup with lots of garlic and some crusty bread will sort you out.

Sleep again. Sleep may not be very practical, especially during the day, but if you can sneek off for a kip, then do so, as sleep is your friend.

When colds strike me down now, instead of feeling rotten for several days, after making the above I usually feel much better the next day and back to normal the day after.

It might not work for you (God knows there are plenty of cures out there that made bugger all difference for me) but as it is a pretty simple drink, with easy to buy ingredients, it might be worth mixing some up.

I hope you feel better soon.

Be brave :)

Colin

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sadly there is nothing to get rid of a virus like this, vit C is an urban myth with no clinical evidence supporting it as a preventative, you can brew nettles, Elderflower, grand dads prize Geraniums or whatever, its a virus and will run its course. Fluids, paracetamol or ibuprofen to control your temp if your OK taking them and a shot of whatever takes your fancy as a nice treat to help cheer yourself up.

I used to love a tot after a night shift before I retired, my body clock used to say "Its night time, have one" and I'm a great believer in listening to my body :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sadly there is nothing to get rid of a virus like this, vit C is an urban myth with no clinical evidence supporting it as a preventative, you can brew nettles, Elderflower, grand dads prize Geraniums or whatever, its a virus and will run its course...

I think the point of most "cures" is to give some comfort and maybe alleviate the sympons so you can rest.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So true, and any excuse for a large Port and Brandy works for me and the paracetamol or ibuprofen help with some of the symptoms :)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
An old Indian guy I used to work with used to swear by ginger tea. Just add a few little chunks of root ginger to an ordinary cup of tea.

Z

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE