Crusader cup fail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Bushytoo,

Did you force the handles back? How easily did they come off. It's a difficult one (speaking as an ex retailer) but I'm wondering how well it was spot welded on. Have had whole batches of pans where the handles have popped of and I deemed them unsafe as someone could get scalded. Just something to think about.

Cheers,
GB.

I'd have to say I forced them back, I was trying to get the handles to fit more snugly around the cup and then the plate just flew off. Like I say I consider it my own fault but I do think it broke easier than I expected it to or perhaps I don't know my own strength.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I've rarely seen Crusader mugs selling for less than £15 ......sure it's not a cheap copy ?

If you don't want to send it back but wish to try & repair it I reckon rivets would be the best solution.

BCB cup, got the name on it and everything, ebay is a source for great bargains. Haven't got the tools, time or knowhow for rivets so I'm hoping JB weld does the job.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd have to say I forced them back, I was trying to get the handles to fit more snugly around the cup and then the plate just flew off. Like I say I consider it my own fault but I do think it broke easier than I expected it to or perhaps I don't know my own strength.

Were you making spinach soup?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Sounds like duff welds and not your fault at all.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did a similar thing on my Eagle kettle, popped one side of a handle straight off. I tried JB which I use on my alky stoves but it didn't hold for long, I don't think it likes stainless on stainless too much. I need to clean it up and have another go though I reckon.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I swear I was looking into JB weld a little while ago to fix a bracket on a titanium pot. When I was searching for information on it there was differing feedback about it, but mostly it said it wouldn't work if you stick it in the embers

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I've never been lucky with JB weld. I don't think its quite the product the makers make it out to be.

Still, might just be my bad luck or ineptitude. Good luck with it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To be honest the OP said its pretty much his fault so I'd get a new one when he can and not rely on the likes of JB for a long term solution. I'd say leave the teflon ones alone, the coating flakes off easily and ends up in your food.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
JB weld does work on some stuff, but I found it had a high fail rate. Don't think it'd work on the cup in the heat. The expansion rate difference on a cold day then put over a flame would just make it fall off I fear.
GB.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
You'll probably end up paying more trying to repair the faulty mug than you would just buying a new one.......& without any guarantee of success either.

To be honest the OP said its pretty much his fault so I'd get a new one when he can and not rely on the likes of JB for a long term solution. I'd say leave the teflon ones alone, the coating flakes off easily and ends up in your food.

When I come back from France I will get a new one probably the army issue one, hopefully my heavy nato cover will still fit the army one. I won't be throwing away it away though. I've just used it today to thermo cook some pasta and I didn't need to use the handles.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I think there's enough doubt about epoxies in general and JB Weld in particular to make it too much of a risk for the upcoming trip. You don't want to finish up in a foreign hospital burns unit on your holiday. I could TIG weld it for you if there was tme but if you're going away on Wednesday that 's a non starter. I wouldn't trust the markings on it to mean that it's a genuine item. There are loads of Chinese fakes of all sorts of stuff on eBay. It could be just bad luck, buy knowing the price you paid it sounds a bit fishy to me.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I think there's enough doubt about epoxies in general and JB Weld in particular to make it too much of a risk for the upcoming trip. You don't want to finish up in a foreign hospital burns unit on your holiday. I could TIG weld it for you if there was tme but if you're going away on Wednesday that 's a non starter. I wouldn't trust the markings on it to mean that it's a genuine item. There are loads of Chinese fakes of all sorts of stuff on eBay. It could be just bad luck, buy knowing the price you paid it sounds a bit fishy to me.

Thanks for the offer but if anything, I probably will use gloves to pick up the cup.

P

Passer

If you know a Sheetmetal shop locally, i`m sure they would spotweld it back together for the price of a pint.
If you don`t know anyone locally, you could pm me when your back.
Good luck.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you know a Sheetmetal shop locally, i`m sure they would spotweld it back together for the price of a pint.
If you don`t know anyone locally, you could pm me when your back.
Good luck.

I thought of that too. But what would spot welding do to the teflon?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE