Crusader cooking set?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
whilst you're looking at those, how about the Swiss Army volcano stove? Lightweight, comes with a litre bottle that you can boil in, a good-sized cup that fits neatly into the unit for cooking in, and will work well as a wood-burner or hexi blocks. and I've used a civi Trangia burner in it as well.

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
whilst you're looking at those, how about the Swiss Army volcano stove? Lightweight, comes with a litre bottle that you can boil in, a good-sized cup that fits neatly into the unit for cooking in, and will work well as a wood-burner or hexi blocks. and I've used a civi Trangia burner in it as well.

How does it perform with the meths stove Andy? I had looked at these but had heard that it struggled unless woodburning? I was told the meths stove flames would not reach the heat up to the mug, only the bottle? I havent got one so all news is welcome.

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
but dont go for the green heat ,..its not briliant

Sorry Raikey ... yours is the first post on this thread to diss greenheat and I'm not forum savvy enough to multi quote so I can't quote others so this is not a dig at you but I have never had a problem boiling a crusader mug full of water on one sachet ... I rip a small corner, squeeze out enough to take a spark and it has never not boiled a cup. I think some people just squeeze out the gel and use that and it runs out but the combo of the wrapper and gel always worked for me. Disclaimer ... I only ever used it spring to autumn so can't vouch for winter ... Also its not a big job to mod the cooker to take a coke can stove or even a tatonka burner so its actually a pretty good unit as far as I can see ... irrelevant now that the OP has bought something else but I just thought that I could offer my experience with the crusader system .... no offence meant to anyone :)

Andrew

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
How does it perform with the meths stove Andy? I had looked at these but had heard that it struggled unless woodburning? I was told the meths stove flames would not reach the heat up to the mug, only the bottle? I havent got one so all news is welcome.

I used the civi Trangia, and it worked very well. The walls of the Volcano funnel the heat very effectively, and the cup forms a reasonable seal at the top, so little is wasted.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
Sorry Raikey ... yours is the first post on this thread to diss greenheat and I'm not forum savvy enough to multi quote so I can't quote others so this is not a dig at you but I have never had a problem boiling a crusader mug full of water on one sachet ... I rip a small corner, squeeze out enough to take a spark and it has never not boiled a cup. I think some people just squeeze out the gel and use that and it runs out but the combo of the wrapper and gel always worked for me. Disclaimer ... I only ever used it spring to autumn so can't vouch for winter ... Also its not a big job to mod the cooker to take a coke can stove or even a tatonka burner so its actually a pretty good unit as far as I can see ... irrelevant now that the OP has bought something else but I just thought that I could offer my experience with the crusader system .... no offence meant to anyone :)

Andrew

No offence taken Andrew,..

i,m planning on ordering a box of the "new improved recipe" anyway,...

its been years since i used it ,

if you do a search on the forum for it, or "fire snot" as a lot of the guys refer to it as you may find a few negative reveiws around last winter...

but as JD says it has improved in recent months so i,m gonna try it again,...

Stu

yungmannfuzz

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2011
NI
I would love to know the difference in the new stuff, and how you know if you have the new or old stuff?!

I have this system and like it, not the fastest but pretty bombproof. Its easy, and it works..

(I use Hexi)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
I originally got mine to go inside my belt kit as it takes up less space than a mess tin. But since then I use it all the time! Its a brilliant bit of kit, I havent used greenheat though only hexi as I can get it by the bucket load.

well its the box i got when i bought it about 2-3 years ago,...so,....dunno if its old or new,...did they change the recipe?

green heat goes off if you store the sachetts i found it was next to usless after a couple of years (found some i nan old bag ) as i carry it as a back up not main use i now rotate it

on dosnt boil water how much 100 degree liquid do you drink ;) for this type of kit i use powdered milk and your drinking from a metal mug that was heated

used to use one sachet for a full mug brew and 2 sachets for a brew and re heat a boil in the bag again it dosnt want to be at 100deg to eat it

i tryed the coke can stove in the cooker but found the mass of metal sucked to much heat out of the fuel making it very inefficiently it was just as quick to pour the fuel in the dish and light it

once the cooker was binned and a simple wire grill used the efficiently improved dramatically (bear in mind how poor a fuel meths is you need all you can get ) as well as loosing a lot of weight from the system

stove1.jpg

tho i mainly use a Hobo set up now which is heaver but far more versatile with eh crusader mug as a back up pot

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
on dosnt boil water how much 100 degree liquid do you drink ;)

Duncan!!!,..hahahahahhaa

every time mate,....,...

Tea , being an infusion needs boiling water to extract the full flavour,..

my god man its fundemental stuff this,...:):)

i bet you dont even warm the pot do you????

dont get me started on not drinking out of bone china cup and saucer or not having a doiley under the cup,.....

did your Granny teach you nothing of Tea etiquite?

hahaha ,.....

PS little finger out when taking a sip,...

Duncan!!!,..hahahahahhaa

every time mate,....,...

Tea , being an infusion needs boiling water to extract the full flavour,..

my god man its fundemental stuff this,...:):)

i bet you dont even warm the pot do you????

dont get me started on not drinking out of bone china cup and saucer or not having a doiley under the cup,.....

did your Granny teach you nothing of Tea etiquite?

hahaha ,.....

PS little finger out when taking a sip,...

actually tea dosnt need boiling water ;) nasty stuff anyway

and i only drink coffee or Vodka (some times in the same mug usually kenco 3 in one sachets ;:D

of course i carry crystal shot glasses for the vodka when out gotta have some stds (yes i do really :D )

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Didn't have enough time to test out the meths stoves with the Crusader today, but I did test it out in a windswept and frozen area.

First up, I cooked myself some soup with the Greenheat. I add the sachet as soon as the stuff is alight as I find the burn time does increase like that...

28Jan201112.jpg

It took five minutes for it to start boiling without a lid. Mainly due to the viscosity of the soup no doubt. And as you can see from the time indent, it is still burning 11 minutes later....

28Jan201116.jpg

All good, so I tested it with just cold water and boil times. I got a full rolling boil in 8mins 33 seconds and it continued on a rolling boil for a good four/five minutes. This was on a fallen tree exposed to crosswinds and without a lid. I think that is pretty impressive and on a par with my Trangia and Whitebox stoves...

28Jan201124.jpg

28Jan201125.jpg

I will test it out with the two meths stoves, but to be honest, why carry around an extra burner and meths when you can fit four sachets Greenheat in the base of the cooker and loads more in your pack if need be without that extra bulk and weight.

My preferred light weight carry system (especially in Summer) is a shoulder bag. The Crusader cooker takes up hardly much more room than the bottle itself, which is obviously necessary carry on extended bimbles. The compact size means I can still fit loads of things in there, such as food; compass; tissues; brews; spoon; DC4; FAK and the tools of my trade, and still have hot food and a brew if I want. Big WIN to me.

28Jan2011.jpg

28Jan20112.jpg

28Jan20113.jpg

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Just wondering , does anyone else out there use the Trangia mess tin £6
http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/product.aspx?id=4142&aid=2

i use with a £2 folding cup http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/Swedish_Army/Everything_else/1950/250.html
and esbit hex stove

stove , 2 cups and brew kit and spare hex tabs all fit neatly inside the mess tin, very small package
I have a set of billies for my larger pack

Al

I have exactly that set up, small enough to stick in your pocket.

Noodoo

Aug 16, 2010
Manchester
Thread resurrection! (Didn't see the point in starting a new thread)

I decided to go for the Swedish Trangia set-up, and it came yesterday! It's in good condition with no leaks or anything, and I had a little test with it today, all is well!

I put a little water inside the pan to boil, I didn't time it but I reckon it took around 3 minutes to get it to boiling point (only indoors, on my cooker top), the first proper test will be next weekend at the Middlewood meet, along with everything else I've yet to learn! Wish me luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE