Crooked knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Morning everone,

I'm after a good crooked knife, right handed, and was after some advice and opinions about which are good 'uns and where best to get them from

Thanks

Drew

MikaelMazz

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
The United States Of America
http://orien-m.paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/

http://www.etsy.com/listing/42018112/crooked-knife

Orienm from paleoplanet makes the best crooked knives on the market in my opinion. I had him make me a blade in the traditional way with the bent up tang. It is an excelent high carbon steel and they are made to order so you can have it made the way you want. You may be able to have him make you just the blade for a cheaper price. I have been using it for years and love it. It has all the right crooks unlike some others I have seen like the one ray mears sales.

The only problem is I dont know if he will ship to the UK.
You can contact him at paleoplanet if you have an account there or in the second link you can also contact him.

Good luck, hope this helps.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I would suggest Jojo's over anyone else out there.

I've been using his design for a year and a half straight in the Canadian woods, making everything from pothangers to canoe paddles, and will always vouch for his work.

It's also reasonably priced.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Duncan and Jojo both do good blades. Below is one of Jojo's blades in my handle (handling thread here.)

DSCF5609.jpg

DSCF5606.jpg

I wouldn't recommend the Svant Djarv blade off the RM website -the angles are all wrong for me and it is very thick. I used it quite happily at first, but having used the alternatives since, it doesn't get much use. See below:

Comparison:
DSCF4538.jpg

In hand shot:
DSCF4464.jpg

I do like SD's other knives, including hook/spoon knives.

Whatever you go for, try and get a good, long handle. This increases grip options, particularly for two handed techniques on larger pieces, such as bowl carving (Robin Wood touches on this in this thread.)

I am carving a bowl at the moment, using the knife in the first pic. It is a joy to use, though the handle could be longer still.

If you aren't keen to do your own handle, I think one of the two makers above might do you a complete knife?

Last edited:

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Thanks for all the replys!
I'm replying from my phone so I'm looking forward to getting back online and having a good look!

Thanks again

Drew

5.10leader

I have also have one of Duncan's knives and would unreservedly recommend it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE