Crook knife Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I bought myself a crook knife from Dave Budd at the moot, now I need to put something on it to protect the blade. On traders day several people were selling clip on curved sheaths that attach to only the blade part. What have other people used to protect their crook knives?

Cheers

J

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

I made one from a cut off end of plumb tree and used a drill and knife to bore out the blade shape.

Or use leather wrap or anything you can afford. :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Slip a length of inner tube over the blade and part of the handle. Protects the edge and is emergency fire-lighter in a pinch :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Leather finger cut off an old garden glove.
Or buy a strip of chamois leather, and cut strips off it, then wrap them around. That how ben orfords crook knives are delivered.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
By coincidence I've just been trying to organise my own spoon and carving knives better so great to see some more ideas.

My favourite solution so far is strong cardboard tubes from clingfilm and foil rolls. If you get lucky then you can find the right diameters to push on over the blade and stay in place on the handle, cut to a suitable length.

So far has worked well on my Robin Wood spoon knife and the swan neck gouge. I'm keeping an eye open for any more as they come in lots of different diameters and are pretty sturdy.

Interested in the clip on sheaths mentioned above, anybody got any pictures ?

Cheers, Paul

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I use a strip of leather wrapped round the blade. Ben Orford shows how to do it in one of his videos. The fingers of a leather glove sounds an easy and tidy idea. Colin that case looks good too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I used a pair of gloves. Then I built a tool box with cut-outs in soft cedar wood for a dozen crooked knife blades. Very pretty. Then I bought 5 more crooked knives and a D-adze blade.
Most of mine are single-edged and come in right and left-hand pairs. The sweeps and tips are different.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Managed to get hold of some more strong cardboard tubes, but a bit too big diameter to grip the tool handles when inserted.

Then had the idea of gluing a small piece of leather offcut (it's about 2 to 3mm thick, on the inside of the tube at the end, and it provides just enough reduction in tube diameter and pressure on the tool handles to keep them snugly in place in the tubes, sorted ! :)

Now just need to figure out how to store and carry the various tubes as they're too big for my tool rolls, d'oh !

Cheers, Paul

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
One of mine.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
I like this.

With a bit of care, the sheath could be used with some fine wet and dry for sharpening the inside curve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE