Creag Meagaidh NNR Work Placement [Scotland]

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello all. I'm currently on a work placement at Creag Meagaidh NNR as part of my ecology course.

PKpdNOv.jpg

Took a drive up through some familiar places. Still snow on the mountains. Braw.

fvRd29z.jpg

The Aberarder Farmhouse which is where I'm currently staying. Lovely place. There are currently 10 resident volunteers including myself. Most are french, a few Scots, one is English and another German.

8NkW4pg.jpg

On the Sunday afternoon when I arrived I was given an impromptu tour of the place by another resident student. These are the hills behind the House.

DAY 1
kdx24lC.jpg

On Monday the managers arrived and the work began. I was assigned a stock fencing task. I've done stock fencing before, but not with a view like that!

vs4GceP.jpg

BvXwsxF.jpg

The day ended with a surprise event. A highland calf was born but unfortunatley it was not being fed by its mother, so we took it inside and took care of it through the night.

TxjqC1E.jpg

Exciting stuff. I can say now that it's pretty much on its way.

DAY 2

dUgYdLu.jpg

Took a trip up with two new volunteers to collect some logs from an Fsc site a few miles from Arberarder.

We saw an osprey flying parallel to us loch-side as we drove back to the house. Good stuff.

5ROmZdU.jpg

We then cut the logs to size using this contraption, a wood-mizer.

DAY 3
Day 3 was... eventful. Ended up with a head injury and a trip to the local GP. But enough about that...

Nothing would stop me doing the day's planned activity: tree transecting. We completed 2 transects, one in Glen Feshie and the other in Invereshie. For both transects we used a line and GPS to navigate to waymarks along the transects. We recorded the height of trees and the density of surrounding scrubby vegetation such as heathers. We also checked for any potential deer damage or pellet groups, but didn't find much.

1aNhlSr.jpg

6ekrfG9.jpg

768Pz4D.jpg

FUBcQqH.jpg

m4bKGRG.jpg

XCiE2DE.jpg

Invereshie:
19BQi8b.jpg

A waymark indicating the next point of the transect.

iXqKKTd.jpg

Lovely old Scots Pines.

QzoLapU.jpg

For most of the second transect I used the gps/line system. Lovely to navigate the hills, especially since the weather was much better than previous days.

DAY 4 & 5
Thursday and Friday weren't as eventful. I used a roller machine to flatten out tire tracks on the paths around the house and then continued cutting on the sawmill. I also used the sawmill today for a few hours as well.

BsNL9d1.jpg

nqqqfn0.jpg

One of the main management practices here is deer stalking. Indeed, most of the management has background in deer stalking and it's the main focus. This is to reduce grazing pressure and to allow for tree regen. I think they also sell venison to local buyers and so forth.

So yes, very interesting first week! Hope you enjoyed reading.

I think this weekend I'll head into the hills and see Coire Ardair.

If any of you have volunteered for the NNR and stayed at Arberarder before, let me know how you got on.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Good for you, looks grand. I've been up the Meggy hills loads over the years, its a pretty serious place in winter sometimes. The regeneration work is fantastic (when avalanches aren't destroying the new trees!).

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Just went for a walk to Coire Ardair. Absolutely majestic, despite the heavy rain and near gale force winds! Here are the top photos (not very good considering the weather).

umTOD1K.jpg

tAHLlDV.jpg

fbUZlA3.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Very interesting post. What's tree transecting BTW?
Cheers. I should've just said we did two "tree transects". They're basically the same as any transect, that is a specific area or distance which is traversed in order to gather data. Transects are usually placed at random, but in the case of a a Phase 1 habitat survey, for example, you can choose where to place your transect lines to cover the most amount of habitats, as that survey is aimed at providing an overview of the site. A transect is usually split into several points and data is collected within these points, depending on what the research is. So for this tree transect, we walked from point to point along the start to the end of the transect, collecting data about tree height and vegetation density, which would tell us about the activity and number of deer on the reserves. Transects are basically the standard way of gathering data for any survey and they are standard and repeatable so that the data is consistent with the given area. They can be used in Breeding Bird, butterfly surveys or anything really.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Week 2.

General maintenance on Monday, filling in Potholes on the paths outside the house and around the general area. Also sorted tons of wood and transported some into the hills to be laid down as a boardwalk.

20150608_085920.jpg

20150608_145730.jpg

20150608_155208.jpg

Tuesday and Wednesday was non-native tree removal day near Moy, just down from Aberarder Farhmouse. We removed non-native tree species such as sitka spruce, cypress and larch to reduce the seed source. We couldn’t uproot the larger specimens after cutting, but made sure to uproot smaller ones.

20150609_092909.jpg

20150609_092918.jpg

20150610_133742.jpg

Thursday was phenomenal and was the highlight of the entire placement:

Ai2w5vt.jpg

Dotterel monitoring trip around the Meagaidh mountains for SNH. 9 hours of walking roughly. We went up over the hill just behind Aberarder Farmhouse. To the right was the walk with excellent footpath to Coire Ardair. We came over the top and looking over the Lochan we met with the other team and the SNH Manager. After some great photo opportunities we made our way up without team 1 (who went up to survey earlier) and traveled up and to the left of Coire Ardair to reach the plateau.

I believe we did two transects before reaching the summit of Creag Meagaidh. Many deer were spotted on the mountains huddled on the snowbeds, but no dotterel. After making our way up to the summit we came down and did one more transect. No sign of dotterel. But if it wasn't for sheer luck just as we were walking back, we wouldn't have seen the one tame female Dotterel hiding in the mossy vegetation. Brilliant. So we made our way back to up to the summit and down again, travelling back to Coire Ardair. We entered through The Window and slid down (literally). We then made our way back using the footpath we had seen from above early in the morning. Job done! Pretty hard going but really, really worth it. I forgot to take a photo of the Dotterel though!

You can see some of the best photos here:
http://imgur.com/a/EQOxR (click on the image, hover over it, click the gearbox sign to the right then hit 'view full resolution'.

Friday was a mixture of general maintenance, including litter picking, leaflet restocking, and using a blower to clean up the paths of cut grass (fun bit of kit). I also skinned a red deer stag which was very interesting.

20150612_101115.jpg

20150612_103148.jpg

20150612_111800.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Back in England now. Week 3.

Week 3 was mostly odd jobs.

Monday - Weeding around hawthorn trees outside in the grounds. Helped water some of the plants near the greenhouse aswell. Butchered deer for venison for the rest of the day.
N66d3CZ.jpg

2hyevPM.jpg

OShDvK9.jpg

Tuesday - Was supposed to do a tree transect in Craigellachie but we stopped off at the SNH offices in Aviemore. Had a good chat with some of the managers. We were supposed to be tidying the place up, strimming and so forth but ended up running late and having more jobs to do that previously thought so the transect was called off. Strimmed around the grounds to cut grass.

Wednesday was an odd job day. Cleaned the deer larder for inspection and tided the house. Picked up doc and thistles from a field for the rest of the day.
I found this in the deer larder and then helped it outside. Not sure what it is, perhaps some sort of hawk moth? Very impressive creature.
bpsXFtZ.jpg

iP3hz1C.jpg

Thursday and Friday I helped to build a stone pathway.
GpbNqCW.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE