Cranachan Whisky - will it work?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Three pounds of raspberries, half a pound of wildflower honey, three vanilla pods (to add a creaminess) and two bottles of malt scotch.....

Raspberry Whisky by British Red, on Flickr

Now - am I on to something here - or will it be wrong on a new level?

Place your bets!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Chainsaw said :D :D

Lot of honey that though...... got to be worth trying though :D

You will let us know how it turns out ?

M

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Sounds great, even if it is wrong after a couple of glasses it will be right :lmao:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What Chainsaw said :D :D

Lot of honey that though...... got to be worth trying though :D

You will let us know how it turns out ?

M

I will report back - I didn't think half a jar between two bottles of scotch was a huge amount of honey...but it may be...time will tell. Its a very delicate honey and not oversweet. It'll be much less sweet than stags breath for sure

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I really can't begin to imagine how that will turn out; but even if you didn't fancy it for sipping, what a base to experiment with for marinades and sauces, eh? How would anything wondrous ever come to light if nobody played with such ideas? Good on you, sez I............:)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sounds like the basis for a stunning (literally & figuratively) trifle.
t2823.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Red,

Sounds an interesting one and along with Harvestman and as a Scot and Whisky aficionado I'd be happy to try it for you, purely in the interest of science you understand!:eek:

Have made all sorts of liquors (we have an annual martini contest in the village) and whisky ones are the hardest to get right I find. Best whisky one was a cranberry whisky, though not a good idea to let it rest in a pewter hip flask for a length of time; it eats it's way out. Whisky does need the sweetness but it's hard to gauge that when using honey.

Good luck and look forward to your taste review.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sounds like the basis for a stunning (literally & figuratively) trifle.
t2823.gif

Ooh, yes. That sounds great.

I'd be half tempted to top the jar with whiskey. There's a lot of water in those raspberries, it might help reduce the chance of mould, amongst other beneficial effects ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I only had two bottles of the cheap stuff and they are already in the jar :)

My cask strength Ileach is NOT going in!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I concur :)

It should be alright in a cool place. This recent weather is meaning all our fruit is needing to be dealt with very quickly. Strawberries are barely lasting a day if not in the fridge.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I've made blackberry whisky in the past but used plain granulated sugar and cheap cooking whisky and it turned out excellent. Like sloe gin, it doesn't have much taste of the original spirit but there is something there!

Be interested to hear how yours turns out.

Gareth

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So it went this colour

Whisky in the jar by British Red, on Flickr

It smelled great

Cranachan whisky by British Red, on Flickr

It tasted ...absolutely superb:)

Cranachan Raspberry Whisky by British Red, on Flickr

Not at all sweet but real raspberry strength at the beginning, then whisky warmth but no burn and lingering ice cream notes from the vanilla as you swallow.

One small bottle will go to my ageing farmer friend to help with his bad hip :) The rest I will guard jealously till Winter.

I venture to suggest that its better than blackberry brandy!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Red, so, it's good after just a month or so. Do you reckon it will improve with age? Also what quality whisky did you use.

It's that time of year when my mind turns to fruit and alcohol combos and this sound very tempting.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is great after a month. I'm not certain whether it will improve. It needs no more flavour so I will strain the fruit and pods off, filter and bottle one evening soon and then time will tell. I have bottles of fruit spirits five and more years old, but it'll be a struggle to leave this alone.

I used cheap "own label" malt - I would suggest a speyside or lowland - certainly not an Islay - its quite a delicate taste and, much as I love an Islay malt, it wouldn't combine well with soft fruit.

HTH

Red

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was thinking of your experiment at the weekend whilst being plied with Krupnik, a Polish drink made from Grain alcohol (you’ll need four cups or half of a half-gallon), Local wildflower honey (two cups), Vanilla pod or vanilla extract, Cinnamon sticks, Nutmeg, Cloves, Mace, Allspice, whole or ground Whole peppercorns, One orange, One lemon.

Sounds like you've made yourself a wee winner there, if nowt else the colour is lovely. Remember if you're ever passing!...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right back at you :)

I have whole honeycombs dissolving in a blend of sack mead and lowland malt as well for a little variety!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE