Costal foraging laws and etiquette

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Just wanted to ask people who are better informed about costal foraging, I wanna do more with the kids ECT but want to make sure I'm doing it sensible and sustainable, iv researched what to can but have found it very mixed lol I know anything more than 5kg of shellfish is considered commercial gathering and you need a licence. Just want to teach the kids the right way so any advice would be great

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are very few places on the South and South East coast that I would consider foraging without very careful research on the beach and water quality. I only eat off the West coast of Scotland these days and even then prefer to be on one of the inner or outer isles.

Sorry to be a pessimist :(

Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Is that down to most selfish filter feeders and taking in the toxins, having said that the south has **** water lol mit ebe just because ei love Cornwall beaches to much haha

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
There are very few places on the South and South East coast that I would consider foraging without very careful research on the beach and water quality. I only eat off the West coast of Scotland these days and even then prefer to be on one of the inner or outer isles.

How sad is that really, what a mess the world has been made of. Truly very sad and easily have been preventable. Alas I think almost un sortable now such is the damage done.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE

Living on the coast I would be VERY hesitant to eat anything foraged from the shore here

Sent from underground

Falstaff

Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
Being curious and also dubious, I've sent an email to CEFAS, the Govt body responsible for monitoring such things, asking for an update/offical position, especially for the East/South/Southest coasts. They have a fairly alarming report about Norovirus in raw Oysters, from human sewage, so I'm not hopeful of a positive response! I'll post up any reply from them.

Reactions: GrandadInTheWoods
Apr 19, 2024
Kent
Being curious and also dubious, I've sent an email to CEFAS, the Govt body responsible for monitoring such things, asking for an update/offical position, especially for the East/South/Southest coasts. They have a fairly alarming report about Norovirus in raw Oysters, from human sewage, so I'm not hopeful of a positive response! I'll post up any reply from them.
Sleep us updated that's a really quite interesting and a little um off putting lol

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Our local oysters were held from sale for quite a while recently due to Southern Water IIRC

Sent from underground

Reactions: GrandadInTheWoods

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE