cordage question...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hey guys....a couple of questions regarding cordage if i may...

I have made cordage from stinging nettles on a few occasions, but today thought i would try my hand at it using dead nettles. Jury is still out as to what the fibres will be like once dried. has anyone used dead nettle before to make cordage and if so what was it like?

Recondly, regarding stinging nettle cordage. I always let the fibres dry once retted, then resoak before utilising, however, after a few hours it seems almost brittle again. How do people keep their own cordage supple for a long time. ANy info would be great. Many thanks.

a1993h

Oct 27, 2010
Ireland
Havent got around to making them myself but you're only supposed to dampen the fibres (i.e. in your mouth) rather that soak them. Dampening them just makes them more pliable. Soaking them brings you back to where you started I assume!

Hope it helps

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i just wet my fingers when rolling them together to make the cord in the normal way, i also used nettle from the winter months once, it turned out to be very brittle and did not make good cordage.........

hope you have some better luck with the next lot....

regards..

chris.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I had a go around November time when they were fairly dead. I did 2 lengths. One was fine for a day or so and began to shrivel up and go loose and frayed. The other one was thicker and I still have it. It seems quite brittle though, a bit frayed too but stronger than it looks. How long is nettle supposed to last when made in its prime?

Dunno if that helps. haha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE