Copyright?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
ah right, thanks for clearing that up.. is there specific ways that you have to state that your copyright i notice dates often come in to it!

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I also note further down (and this is the bit that would be useful for BC) that 'The Copyright Act provides that protection begins at the moment "original works of authorship" are "fixed in a tangible medium of expression" ': if what you are describing is a method of firelighting that was not discovered by the author (i.e. not original work), the way I read this (and I am not a lawyer), you cannot claim copyright on the actual method, only on the description of the method, I would say you are therefore at liberty to describe the method for yourself without quoting anything as long as you do not use the authors original description, photos or drawings. Anyone know more?

Greg

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
... dusts off his law degree and Intellectual Property Honours thesis... :)

Well, copyright law applies to:

writing
music - both written and recordings
films
drama (plays etc)
typographical layouts (i.e publishing).

It covers the creation of an original object NOT the idea behind the object - i.e the story idea for a book is not copyright, only the actual story itself written down. (i.e, copyright does not stop you writing a book about a young boy who becomes a wizard and goes to wizard school - but it does stop you calling him Harry Potter :wink: ). It also protects against dimensional adaptation - i.e making a sculpture of a painting, or photographing a painting. Repainting the original scene is obviously fine.

You do not have to expressly register for or claim copyright in any way - it is automatic on creation of the work (specifically, on public access to the work). The copyright statement you usually see (i.e Copyright Joe Bloggs, 2003) is purely to allow the rules on time, author etc to be tied to a person and date.

Copyright provides two forms of protection - it allows the creator to control use - i.e publication, copying, distribution, public showing/playing etc.

It also provides what are known as moral rights - i.e the right to be known as the author, the right not to have your work 'diminished' - i.e reproduced badly, translated etc - things that protect your 'reputation' as the creator.

Copyright lasts for 70 years for 'real/human' authors, after death, for written works (usually 70 years from creation for companies/organisations).

There are several 'fair use' clauses that allow you to use works in certain ways - these include:

News reporting/criticism/reviewing (i.e quotes in newspapers/magazines etc)

Educational or research use - quoting journals in your science research etc, or reading books to children in schools

Note that the educational use has some extra caveats, namely that you are only allowed to represent small amounts - which must be small in quality, not quantity (i.e reproducing a whole chapter of text on how a car works is 'the same' as reproducing a diagram on how a car works). This has been quantified as 5% of total in relation to photocopying of documents, but this is not a legally binding figure, more a recommendation, and any amount of copying could be considered an infringement.

Right, well in this specific example, you would probably be allowed to reproduce some of the original work, since it is publicly available. However, reproducing it in a different form (cutting out pictures, translating to a different language) might fall foul of the moral rights or the author. All reproductions would need to credit the original work, and would have to be small amounts (i.e a single example of how to build a fire might be ok, copying all their pictures and text on fire-making would be out. Of course, reading the book, re-writing it in English using your own words, and taking pictures of your implementation of their methods would be fine :)

One last thing, all of the above is UK Copyright law - which for all intents and purposes is the same as general European (and in most cases American) law. However, as this example would involve publication on the internet of the copyrighted material, the law of any country where the publication occurred (which is defined as the place the server hosting the files lives AND all countries in which the site can be viewed) could be used.

If anyone has any other questions on copyright, trademark patents etc I could answer, either PM me or start a legal thread!

Goes back to his day job of IT support... :?:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Hi all

Would it be feasible to download, say, one of the tutorials posted on BCUK to my PDA if I wanted to take the information into the great outdoors and try to put it into practise? I would not be transmitting this information to somebody else through another website, it would be for my own personal use. I only ask because of that blurb at the bottom of the page (scroll down as far as you can, there it is!).

Maybe a mod could clear this up please?

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Does the bit at the bottom of the page mean that if I post an article here its copyright belongs to BCUK or does it still belong to me?

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Would it be feasible to download, say, one of the tutorials posted on BCUK to my PDA if I wanted to take the information into the great outdoors and try to put it into practise? I would not be transmitting this information to somebody else through another website, it would be for my own personal use. I only ask because of that blurb at the bottom of the page (scroll down as far as you can, there it is!).

If a book is published, be it in paper or online form, then you are allowed to take your 'received copy' - i.e the one you bought or downloaded and do anything you like with it, except copy it really. the fact they give it away free is unrelated to copyright - they've just chosen not to charge for it....

Interesting to read that what I have just done (linked without the authors permission) has been deemed illegal in some circumstances and not in others.

It is usually deemed that linking is ok, provided you make it clear that its an external link, and name the author/site. So, for example:

BushcraftUK is ok

My personal bushcraft site! is not :wink:

Does the bit at the bottom of the page mean that if I post an article here its copyright belongs to BCUK or does it still belong to me?

The 'framework' of the site (logos's, layout etc) is copyright BCUK. However, the articles themselves remain copyright the original author - i.e you (it even got your 'name' at the top of it!). BCUK is merely a publisher for your articles, although it does reserve the right to joint-authorship (i.e editing your posts), and to censorship if necessary. Bear in mind that legally, this means that both you and BCUK are responsible for not breaking any laws with these posts, although there is a general exception that the BCUK mods would be excused if you posted copyrighted material and they didn't notice (but not if someone pointed it out to them and they did nothing...).

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Hiya Match

Good stuff - I was refering to an article in the Templetons 10 myths about copyright site that I put a link to above. Here it is again - www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

He states that in the U.S some people have been done in civil court for posting links on websites without/against the authors knowledge/permission.

Crazy - is that not what the web is all about. Then again if someone who runs a not so good company or site and puts a links list on their site to companies/sites that are are well respected - do these people not have a right to say, hey, get my site off your links list - we don't want to be associated with you or your doings etc. :?:

An absolute minefield, my advice would be to ask first. :wink:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE