copper cape pin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Shirking my knife making duties today ( needed a break ) I decided to make myself a viking style copper bangle but the only bit of copper i had was a tad short to go round my wrist so I turned it into this its all hand hammerd and the pin was drawn out by hand no electric tools were used in the making (unlike me that one :) ) , I always said i would never make jewelery agian after i stoped 10 yrs ago but I really enjoyed making this today, I hope you like it comments always welcome.
DSCF1080.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
That's absolutely stunning. Reminds me of a pewter one my mother had, though the styling on that one is much nicer! Really lovely work there!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Nice copper blanket pin or broach. And I personally like that "hammered" look instead of the
smoothed/filed/polished look.

Copper can be fun to work with. Just gotta be sure to anneal it often, or work it hot. Like
these early North American Indian Copper Culture reproductions I made for the Grand Portage
National Park - for their recreated Ojibwe village. I didn't get pics of the spear heads.

CopperCulture1a.jpg

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Hey, what's wrong with jewelry? Same techniques and metals, just small projects.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Plus I need to find a copy of an old jewelry book I heard about almost 2 decades ago. As I recall, it was called 300 Decorative Twists For Jewelers. It would be nice to scale some of them up for blacksmithing projects. I've searched, but haven't found anything.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Copper can be fun to work with. Just gotta be sure to anneal it often, or work it hot. Like
these early North American Indian Copper Culture reproductions I made for the Grand Portage
National Park - for their recreated Ojibwe village. I didn't get pics of the spear heads.

Mike, those are great reproductions -- in what time frame did the Indian's start using copper hooks?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
... i would never make jewelery agian after i stoped 10 yrs ago but I really enjoyed making this today, I hope you like it comments always welcome.

Hey, don't be shy about jewelry -- I love this pin.

Besides, it's so enormously useful (I use pins like this to close my long hunter shirt) that there is nothing frivolous about it.

Great work!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hmmm, now that is good :approve: There are times when something is just 'right', and the brooch is :D I love the finish and it's going to develop a unique patina too :cool:

atb,
M

Really nice piece John, the pin attachment, did you split it "Y" like then wrap it around ?

Cheers mate

Stephen
Yes I put a hole in then cut up to it as you hammer on the cone mandril it naturaly curves round

Hey, don't be shy about jewelry -- I love this pin.

Besides, it's so enormously useful (I use pins like this to close my long hunter shirt) that there is nothing frivolous about it.

Great work!
am not shy about jewelry making I did make jewelery for a few years after i left uni I just got disenchanted with the whole thing undercut by nasty cheap foreign cast items , infact knife making is starting to make me feel the same way , wonder if mcdonnalds are hireing :D

Plus I need to find a copy of an old jewelry book I heard about almost 2 decades ago. As I recall, it was called 300 Decorative Twists For Jewelers. It would be nice to scale some of them up for blacksmithing projects. I've searched, but haven't found anything.

That sounds like a handy book Mike will keep my eyes open :)

Thanks all glad you like it , I was going for the rough hand made viking look hope i got it right , and i managed to find another bit of copper and got my bracelet made today :) good for the aurthuritis

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very nice work. I've a functional one I made out of some steel rod (stainless I think). It works very well for my match coat but I have been meaning to make a slightly fancier one. I'll have to give it a go now.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Mike, those are great reproductions -- in what time frame did the Indian's start using copper hooks?

The time frame for Indian use of copper in North America generally stretches from 1700's on back before 900 or 1000 A.D. Exact dating is kind of poor because of the lack of other surviving objects that can better be dated - like coins during the Roman era. So carbon dating of other artifacts recovered at the same time/place needs to be done, and those can be off by several hundred years. The Indians were working surface collected copper nuggets - called float copper. Little or no actual "mining" took place, just working those found nuggets.

So the original artifacts all show a level of "impurities" in them. I worried about replicating Copper Culture pieces for a bit. But starting with modern refined copper makes them a whole lot easier to distinguish from original artifacts.

The hooks fit most of the Copper Culture time period. And that era mostly ended when contact/trade was established with Europeans for their iron/steel trade goods. But those European explorers were very interested in the copper deposits they found - especially those around the western end of the Great Lakes. It wasn't gold or silver, but was still a valuable resource.

So by the early 1700's, copper items had mostly been replaced with iron/steel - those fish hooks, knives, axes, awls, etc. But some of the "old stuff" continued to be used.

Working copper is different from working iron/steel. The material absorbs almost all the energy/force from a blow. You get no rebound of your hammer. So forging copper wears out your arm much faster. And you really need to watch that you do not over-heat it, or it will just melt on you. Working/hammering it cold has its own problems. All metals work-harden. When hammering copper cold, you will "feel" the copper slowly getting harder under your hammer. If you continue to work it after that, it can quickly start to crack/split on you. So you have to anneal it often. Copper and brass anneal the exact opposite from iron/steel. You heat it up till it is glowing red, then quench it in water to anneal (soften) it. To harden it, you heat it up and then let it air-cool. Just the opposite of iron/steel.

I did not file/grind/sand those items smooth - like most of the originals would have been. Just forged them to shape. So they have that ... just forged ... look to them. The national park loved them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE