cooking with a griddle over a fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It shouldn't be used above flames but above hot coals, whether those be peat, wood or coke. The idea is to cook food not to cinderise it :D The surface should only need wiped clean and maybe a drop or two of oil rubbed in.

Correctamundo!!!

God help the kitchen porter who even "thinks" about taking a brillo pad/Fairy Liquid (etc) to the saute pans...

Liam

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This thread has been very bad for me ... just bought myself a skillet! Sigh! Not had one for 30 years so will be learning how to season it all over again. The one thing I think about skillets, dutch ovens and grills is that they only come with me when I have the car as the weight is terrific! But the grub they produce is luverrlee :D
Am now redesigning my camping trips with this in mind :rolleyes::camping:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I have had the South African version of a Dutch Oven stew the cast iron pots start off red with rust as they live outdors,- a little heat, a little oil and a little rub down with a sourer and they were ready for cooking!
My own cast iron goes home with me after each tip, gets a wash to remove any surface crud is dried on top of the rayburn then oiled and stored for the next trip.
I did for a while use a double sided griddle but carfuly cleaned it between flipping it ove.
These days I use a good Welsh bakestone!
All the ridged side of a double sider does is burn a pattern onto your steak.... :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
When I have had the South African version of a Dutch Oven stew the cast iron pots start off red with rust as they live outdors,- a little heat, a little oil and a little rub down with a sourer and they were ready for cooking!
:)

Same here John. Doesn't take long to get rid of the rust colour.
As far as cooking goes if you take the pan off the fire and just leave it on the ground it retains the perfect heat to cook eggs. :)

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I havnt been on in a while been swamped with work and family stuff but heres how i cook with my griddle ,atb wayne ps not had any bother with the seasoning and temps
stalking040.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE