Cooking crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Change the water a couple of times a day to keep them fresh

We have frozen them to kill before the hot water treatment but the last time I put a knife through the head.
I have to admit they tasted much better than the frozen ones.

I'll try the hot embers method when I can

Mark

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi,
Just reading this and are you keeping them in the bucket of water to "clean" them?
I remember seeing or reading somewhere that you should keep them for a while in clean waterr before cooking them or eating them (was it a River Cottage episode???)
Can anyone shed light on what it is that I am trying to remember! LOL!

All the best

Dave

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Hi,
Just reading this and are you keeping them in the bucket of water to "clean" them?
I remember seeing or reading somewhere that you should keep them for a while in clean waterr before cooking them or eating them (was it a River Cottage episode???)
Can anyone shed light on what it is that I am trying to remember! LOL!

All the best

Dave

To purge all the crap out of their digestive system.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I do as buckshot and use a knife in the back of the head and then a tip that was on Ray Mears, is to take hold of the very final tail fin with thumb and finger, hold the cray by the body with the other hand and turn the fin from right to left hearing a light snap as you go each way. Then gently pull the fin and it will produce a black thread which contains all the guts and digestive system.

Sounds tricky but quite easy to do.
I like them boiled with a nice brown bread and butter.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I do as buckshot and use a knife in the back of the head and then a tip that was on Ray Mears, is to take hold of the very final tail fin with thumb and finger, hold the cray by the body with the other hand and turn the fin from right to left hearing a light snap as you go each way. Then gently pull the fin and it will produce a black thread which contains all the guts and digestive system.

Sounds tricky but quite easy to do.
I like them boiled with a nice brown bread and butter.

i was going to say, this is in my river cottage book too, knife to the back of the head, central fin, left then right then pull out the guts.
you can then use the hole to skewer them and plant em by the fire ;)

i was going to say, this is in my river cottage book too, knife to the back of the head, central fin, left then right then pull out the guts.
you can then use the hole to skewer them and plant em by the fire ;)

Which river cottage book is that buddy?

We didn't mean to purge them but found having bolied them (plopping them in live to kill) upon opening them up to remove the colon (or whatever a crayfish has!) they were clean having been left for around 16 hrs. Would like to try the straight to coal version but liike I said we had quite a few to dispatch, I imagine the flavour is stronger this way too, cooked in their own juices.

Leo

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
i just put them into boiling water fo 4 minutes , remove claws and tail discard the rest, remove shell then remove black intestine from inside the tail, then use flesh from claws/tail any way you like ....salad/ curry/fish pie the worlds you crayfish so to speak....mack

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Google "Cajun crawfish recipes." The Louisiana Cajuns are the masters of cooking crawfish. (crayfish) Once you eat them the way they cook them you won't want them any other way.

Warning: They are HOT and Spicy!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
chuck the whole lot in a pot of steaming water and then, when they are cooked, eat them guts and all. :)

Maybe use the shells to make a bisque.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE