Cooker from a pine log

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TwoSticks

Aug 15, 2009
Northumberland, UK
Must confess that I have given it a go but couldn't get it to light. I found a video since my first post and Ray uses birch bark and small twigs. I tried to be clever and use fire lighters (as they were to hand!) but no cookie. Will try with birch bark on weds.

Leo
You can also light it by just lighting a normal fire on top of the split logs - tinder, kindling etc. Keep it going for about five minutes with little finger size dry sticks and the log will soon catch.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I read somewhere that the trick is to not put too much tinder in the gaps of your sweedish fire log. The swedes just put bits of birch bark in the gaps with plenty of air gaps; too much tinder & it wont light properly. I have never tried it but it's on my ever gtowing list of things to try. There was a pic of some people at the Wildernes Gathering who had a 2 foot log standing upright in their BBQ, which looked like a good way of doing it, so you dont burn the ground around it. I like the BG stove idea of 4 sticks in the ground with tinder in the middle, must try that as well..

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I often while out with my young son get him to practice the 4 poles cooker method, he has it down to a fine art now. Never tried a log with cuts in it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE