Constructing a willow bender in Norfolk - need a supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Hello BushcraftUK!

I am constructing a willow bender for an event at my sister's house in Norfolk. The event is on 30th September. I'm trying to find a place to get some large willow poles to do the construction with. I'm not sure of the exact lengths and numbers I need, but I can figure that out with a bit of thinking...

It will be something very simple, like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oThJJImjj3k/Sax1tGxkNRI/AAAAAAAAAAc/ZyoKPeQ8V0I/s400/IMG_2759.jpg

Does anybody know anywhere in Norfolk I might be able to get green willow for this project?

Just putting out a few feelers!

Thanks,

Harry

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Peter Dibble.

He's a basket maker, but he grows his own willow as well as using the stuff from Somerset.
He makes superb fences and the like too, and those need long lengths.

http://www.peterdibble.co.uk

Other than that, it might be worth while looking for someone who does willow mazes and green willow structures.

Best of luck with it :)

M

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks Toddy, that's really useful. I've sent him an email. The photos on his website are incredibly beautiful.

I've also been advised that hazel is much better than willow for building benders. I'm not quite sure why, I always thought they'd be pretty much the same. I've got in touch with the Norfolk Wildlife Trust to see if they have any managed woodlands I might be able to talk to.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hazel grows more slowly; it's 'timber' in a way that willow wands aren't, iimmc ?

Both are grown and coppiced, but while it's more usual to be a seven or eight year rotation on Hazel, willow is generally cut every or every alternate year.
Old willow cracks I find, while older Hazel can be twisted and bent. That's why it's used for hurdle making.

I suspect that for what you're going to do with it that either would do, but for benders that are put up and taken down again, the hazel ages better. Willow soaked and dried and soaked and dried really does get brittle and doesn't bend comfortably.

Interested to see what you find and make :D

M

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I just found an advert that may interest you...

WILLOW FOR SALE at competitive prices! Grown and coppiced at The Sustainability Centre as part of our WET (Wetland Ecosystem Treatment) System. All proceeds go towards Sustainability Centre volunteer projects. Call 01730 823 166. Email: volunteering@sustainability-centre.org

Found it here on the classifieds section....

https://www.permaculture.co.uk/search/node/willow

Hope it helps

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Interesting links there Leshy :) :approve:

M
Thank you Toddy.
It's a wonderful publication, one of my favorites.
And it's mostly free , although you get a lot more from subscribing.

I found permaculture is very fitting with Bushcraft and homestead in the sense that it works with nature rather than against it.
Hopefully some folk here can get some ideas from it.

... Just planting seeds...

;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE