Conservation Training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
So I want a change of job to something that's actually going to be rewarding for me to do and enjoy what I do, so after a little look about for apprenticeships in the outdoors (I'm 19 and work in TkMaxx) I came across this trainer http://www.darttraining.co.uk/index.html I was wondering if anyone had any others around the Northwest area that I could apply for I'm interested in Apprenticeships or Training courses, I could also do something in Northampton as I could stay with family while there (Moneys a problem can't afford to rent a place to stay).

Any thoughts and ideas of ways to get into this sort of stuff will be helpful! I'm thinking of volunteering for the peak district as a "Conservation Volunteer ( http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/looking-after/ppcv.htm )" to get some experience for my CV as well.

What do you guys think?

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
As a park ranger myself I feel in a position to offer some advice. Volunteering is a very good place to start, it'll give you an idea of part of the work involved and give you some experience using hand tools etc. The way things are going now with conservation jobs you need to think about going to college or university to get the academic knowledge as well. There is a good website called countryside job service. It has courses and jobs advertised all other the country.

I started volunteering at 14 years old. Did a degree in environmental management then it still took a few years to get a decently paid full time post.

I don't wish to put you off. I love my job and it is very rewarding work but I just wanted you know that it can take some time to get a job. Take every opportunity to learn stuff and travel. If you really want it, do it. I did and don't regret it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi Echo, I would second what greensurfingbear has said. I am also a Countryside Ranger, this is my second career, having spent 15 years as a research scientist doing lab work. When redundancy hit, I went back to University and did an environmental science degree, and succeeded in getting this job only after a couple of years of volunteering, seasonal jobs and freelance work.
In the current financial climate, there is no guarantee that I will be doing the job for much longer unfortunately. I don't want to put you off ! but it is a difficult sector for employment at the moment and things are only going to get worse, before they get better, if at all. However, I love my job and find it very rewarding.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
http://www2.btcv.org.uk/display/naturaltalent

Check out these apprenticeships with BTCV - probably exactly what you are looking for except they are all in Scotland or Northern Ireland. They do pay well though so you could maybe afford to rent a room somewhere.

I'm in a similar position to Greensurfing bear and agree with all they said. Opportunities like this BTCV one rarely come along.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I worked for the National Trust as a warden/forester for 7 years and have many friends still working in various conservation organisations. When I got into it there were two college courses in the country feeding into maybe 2000 jobs. Now there are maybe 50 college courses in various forms of countryside management, that's a lot of folk chasing each new job. The Peak District National Park has had it's budget cut this year by 28% is desperately laying off staff, and just sold Loosehill hall it's internationally known countryside training facility. Maybe not the best time to be going for this option?

If I wanted to get into fulfilling work outdoors I would consider dry stone walling, lanscaping (if you can cope with the boring stuff like lawn mowing and leylandi cutting there is plenty of work) woodland work is a bit harder to get into but there is this apprenticeship in the North West http://www.coppiceapprentice.org.uk/
Then there are a bunch of apprenticeships in various stuff coming on line at the moment through the HLF funded "skills for the future" scheme. There is a list of organisations that had successful funding bids, google who they were find the one that you fancy and get volunteering there before they advertise and you'll stand a very good chance. I quite fancy the recently advertised traditional boatbuilding http://www.ellesmereportpioneer.co....terways-museum-ellesmere-port-55940-28009035/

Echo

May 27, 2010
Manchester
Thanks for all the helpful info guys, the BTCV looks like exactly what i was searching for! So I am now attending some of there volunteer events starting this weekend finger crossed.

Thanks for all the info it's been extremely helpful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE