Conifers for bow-drilling - Gardencraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
My neighbour asked if I was interested in a stem of garden conifer for the fireplace. You know - those itchy bushes and trees from the Mediterranean. Never one to turn burning stuff down, I gladly accepted. It was the remainder of an older tree that serviced the last part of its dead career as pole for the bird feeder plateau. So - standing and dried wood.

After sawing some logs out of it and splitting, it looked a nice wood for a firebow-set. So I carved the well known configuration and attacked it with a resin-free spindle made out of pine. Easy stuff to carve - a bit harder than the pine wood here.

I effortlessly got 3 coals on every try. This is really nice wood for this combination. It is quite a family of trees, but I suspect they all will more or less work.

So - when you are wandering around in Italy, after the Roman civilization of emperor Berlusconi falls - don't overlook it :)

Anybody here have experience with this kind of wood?

-Emile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE