Compound knife handles? views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

samthedog

Jun 12, 2009
Norway
Tim, the middle part of the knife is reindeer antler. I would be about a 3 - 3.5 hour drive from you as I live near Rjukan.

I agree that stacked handles can be easier Jontok, but the example I posted with the reindeer antler was quite difficult. I had to work with the natural curve of the bone and using straight lines between the leather and aluminium spacers would have made the handle look strange. When i decided to curve those joins, I created a whole heap of problems because when I glued and clamped the handle, it would slide all over the place. It was nearly impossible to slide everything onto the blade's shaft and glue it like that because I had to do so much work with the reindeer horn.

Paul.
I have one example of each strangely from really old knives where both had rusted around the metal inserts (pins rivets spacers etc) - clearly not looked after for decades and left in a wood shed so i kinda think of them as not 'real' knives if you follow me.

Sam - thanks for the comment, and nice knife (is the middle bone or antler?). Most of my blades come for your neck of the woods and i was at Seljure (sorry cant spell it propperly) a few years ago.
Im planning on being over there permanently soon. Dont suppose you club is near Tonsburg is it?

:)
I only have poor quality pics but i may post them and see what the feedback is....

jontok

Tenderfoot
Jul 2, 2009
Norway
I agree that stacked handles can be easier Jontok, but the example I posted with the reindeer antler was quite difficult. I had to work with the natural curve of the bone and using straight lines between the leather and aluminium spacers would have made the handle look strange. When i decided to curve those joins, I created a whole heap of problems because when I glued and clamped the handle, it would slide all over the place. It was nearly impossible to slide everything onto the blade's shaft and glue it like that because I had to do so much work with the reindeer horn.

I should have said that it is easier as long as you make a straight cut, compared to a single piece handle... Cutting it diagonally, or as you have done, makes it difficult to fit the pieces not to mention gluing the bloody thing together! :D
Realy nice knife btw!

Jontok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE